New
Find
Notify
Tools

Broken Springfield Ejector
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was wondering if somebody could tell me two things. I have a springfield in 06 that is failing to eject spend rounds. I am pulling the bolt back fast and smooth and it should throw them free, but doesnt. (well, once in a while it does). If I open the bolt, pull the case out with my finger, then look inside I can see that the ejector has not come out of its little slot. If I reach in there I can move the ejector in and out without any resistance, is that normal?

So my two questions:

1. How does this type of ejector work anyways?

2. Does it sound like it is broken? or is it maybe adjusted wrong?

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
Dago....

The 1903 Springfield ejector is not under any spring tension. It merely pivots around a pin when the bolt is drawn back, and the left locking lug passes over the ejector. This should bring the ejector up into the slot in the left lug, and force the cartridge away from the bolt face.

The energy to throw the cartridge away from the action comes from the force applied to draw back the bolt......not any internal force from the ejector. If you draw the bolt back slowly it will merely "spill" the cartridge out....not throw it clear.

Since you say you've been smartly drawing the bolt back without proper ejection, check to see if the ejector is reliably coming up into the slot of the left lug when the bolt is drawn back. You can see this easily by drawing back the bolt and examining the ejector. It's a simple mechanical "toggling" action, so it should work 100% unless the ejector is worn.

The ejector is a rather inexpensive part to replace.

GV

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
excellent explanation of how it works, I knew it was some kind of non-springed setup. I will replace it, or have it replaced.

I like the ejector on my enfield :-) It always gets the case out.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote