Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser with Charging Hump - Bases?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted
So I finally got the rear base off my rifle and the new Talley rear base will not fit around the charging hump...so I can grind it or I can look for bases that will fit. I wanted to go Talley QD screw lock on this if I can...

Any suggestions? Pulling the rest of my hair out.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No need for any hair alterations; but you can alter your receiver to take the standard rear scope base made for "altered" 98 Mauser. It is a common and easy alteration. I usually mill them off, but just a belt sander will work. Coarse belt makes it faster.
Like the FN or MK10 commercial.
You don't have to look very hard; every base maker, makes them. Either for altered, or not altered bridge.
So, grind away, make the surface flat with what is already there, and your Talley base will fit.

Posts: 17181 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That Greener is a classic. I know they make bases to accommodate the hump.

Posts: 113 | Location: Maryland 's Eastern Shore | Registered: 03 February 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I am not changing the rifle...it has been through enough. I will see if Talley makes one. I can try to radius the Talley I have the way the prior base was milled and radiused, was just looking for a better way.

NB -- I do not see a Talley base for this configuration.

Edited for clarity and to add the Talley info.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
I'd get the correct base and leave the rifle intact.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I did not see mention of a collectable rifle; your question says "Mauser".
That would be different.
Yes you can grind the base to fit on the charging hump. Or use any of the other makes of bases that are made to fit.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I did not see mention of a collectable rifle; your question says "Mauser".
That would be different.
Yes you can grind the base to fit on the charging hump. Or use any of the other makes of bases that are made to fit.

I mentioned it in the other thread, not here, and I appreciate all suggestions. I am hoping to use Talley rings so maybe I will grind the base if I can't find another solution.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Warne makes a base to accommodate the hump. I've used them with no problems.

Posts: 113 | Location: Maryland 's Eastern Shore | Registered: 03 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have someone build a set of custom bases, the rifle probably deserves it. Talley bases are functional but a little plebeian sort of like the weavers that were on it.

Posts: 1144 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Simple to set up a talley base in the milling vise and cut a relief for the charger hump in the base with a boring head.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SKB knows his stuff. I echo his advice, simply modify the base to fit

Posts: 239 | Location: Southeast USA | Registered: 01 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree..do not alter the receiver..I never do unless there's some underlying darn good reason

Posts: 3509 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
And I generally always remove the clip guide hump. Then any base made for an FN fits.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I will take a shot at modifying the base to fit..and if I mess that up I will go with another plan.

Thanks again for all the advice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charles,

I wouldn't grind the bridge of a Greener Mauser rifle either!

I do not have access to a mill, but I have modified a number of rear bases by holding them vertically in a vice on my drill press and using a small grinding wheel of the correct diameter on high speed, and taking a small cut, working from the top down, as many times as needed to obtain the proper clearance.

By working carefully and checking the fit often I have been able to get nearly 100% contact with the top of the charging hump and the front edge of the rear base.

I am sure the pros here will cringe, but this does work if you have the right sized grinding wheel. You might want to practice on a scrap base before you work on your Talley, however.

Posts: 265 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
About thirty years ago, Martin Hagn showed me a rifle he was working on. He had inletted the rear base into the hunp so that it looked like it grew there. I really liked the look of that so I started doing the same thing to my own. Most customers didn't want to pay for the extra time so I continued to just grind the hump off in most cases and that is just fine too. What isn't fine is locating the unaltered base too far to the rear. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3577 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A half round file, inletting blue, and time is all you need. I bet you will find it easier than removing the old base.
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. I will take a shot at it as soon as time permits.