Tools

JC Higgins (FN Mauser) Safety Problem
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a JC Higgins FN Mauser 06 safety is a
lever left side used to be hard to work now I
cannot engage safety? It has a Timeny trigger
with a replacment cocking piece. Any solutions?

kk alaska

one of us
posted Hide Post
But a winchester type safety on it and send me your old safety, Big Grin Big Grin I could use the lever...

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, put the original trigger and cocking piece back into it.

The sear on the trigger is letting the cocking piece sit too far forward for the safety to engage it. The safety needs enough room to slide in front of the cocking piece and push it rearwards.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
alaska i'm curious, why did you change the cocking piece? you say it used to be hard to work & now it doesn't work. Sounds as thought the metal in that safety or the that replacement cocking piece is not hard enough.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Take a stone and work the spot back where the safety engauges the cocking piece, until the safty lever will engauge. Basically refit the safety lever engaugement at the safety lever side of the cocking piece. Dissassenbly of the striker assembly will be required to do this and you will probably have to do it more than once to refit it.
Timan

Posts: 1214 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those safeties work but are in the stone age when it comes to efficiency. They are difficult to work with a glove on because they are too close to the scope. Put a side-swing type on and be done with it. I have them for $95 plus your old shroud in trade.

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Those safeties work but are in the stone age when it comes to efficiency.

They sure are popular for outdated, inefficient pieces aren't they?

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim Kobe , do you have any take offs you could send me?

Rick

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess I was not clear just bought the JC from my buddy. He has the old shroud laying around some where. Was thinking rifle would be great
for my 2 RH boys as I shoot LH, but safety was
dificult to engage and inconsistent in operation
pressure. Now it will not work. Would love to find a gunsmith in Anchorage to look at it but have no faith in most up here. Can I send bolt to have safety fitted or do you need action also?

kk alaska

One of Us
posted Hide Post
KK

don't let anyone talk you out of that original safety and shroud. I have seen them go on Ebay for as much as $75.00.

If you want to keep it and use it, its just a matter of grinding back on the cocking piece a little bit at a time. Probably more like stoning than grinding.

If you don't want to keep it, sell the original lever and cocking piece and use the money to purchase a 3 position from Dakota (Brownells) It too will need fitting, but IMHO it is a much safer safety than the 2 position that you have on there now.