New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are GA Precision Rifles worth the cost?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am torn between building my own, or having GA Precision build a rifle for me.

The base GA rifle + a few upgrades like a McMillan A5 stock & marine tex bedding would run around $3160.00.

A beat up Remington BDL on Gunbroker goes for about $350, and costs go from there to have a custom built, but I would be doing more of my own work.

I can swing a successful wrench, but have no gunsmithing skills at all.

What's your advice?

Posts: 5184 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AI AE.

But if you don't like that stock, a GAP rifle will be good.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
here's the way I look at these things
1. do you have the money to plunk down and have a rifle built?

2. are you real going to "do most of the work myself"?

3. If yes to number two how long will it take you to complete?

It's hard to part with cash but when you can rest assured the project will be completed in a given time frame it an easy deal.

I can make a lot of the parts I need for my rifles in my garage but I weigh out the cost of the part compared to my time fusing with it.

If the cost is to great and the time to build is relatively short I'll build it. But if it's equal or opposite I'm just going to pay for it and be done.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kcstott:
here's the way I look at these things
1. do you have the money to plunk down and have a rifle built?

2. are you real going to "do most of the work myself"?

3. If yes to number two how long will it take you to complete?

It's hard to part with cash but when you can rest assured the project will be completed in a given time frame it an easy deal.

I can make a lot of the parts I need for my rifles in my garage but I weigh out the cost of the part compared to my time fusing with it.

If the cost is to great and the time to build is relatively short I'll build it. But if it's equal or opposite I'm just going to pay for it and be done.

Good advice.

Posts: 5184 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 06 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are options between having a custom builder put a complete rifle together and doing most of it yourself. For example you could buy the beater rifle off gunbroker and then send it to Hart, Pacnor, Krieger, or whoever to put on a new barrel and square the action. You could then buy a McMillan stock and fit it yourself. You could also switch out the trigger yourself if you wanted to.

I've tried several variations of putting together custom rifles and I would recommed you let the professionals do most of the work. The end product will be higher quality (no offense to your general handiness skills), but there is no way to replicate the quality of a gunsmith that has years and years of training and experience.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
To answer your question, George and crew will do a very good job at a competitive price. You won't be disappointed with the quality of the work.