THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger 77MK 11 in .338 win mag opinions please???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just wanting to hear from owners of ruger all weather 77mk11 .338 win mag rifles do they like them ?? and are they happy with them ??

They seem to represent good value for money when you look at prices of other rifles.

[ 10-31-2002, 05:22: Message edited by: PC ]

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Mark 77 II in stainless with a laminated stock. It is a 308 Winchester and I love it to death. It is a CRF with the awesome three position safety. Accuracy is very good but is certainly not outstanding. Have fun.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got done with a elk hunt and my buddy used a 338 all weather mk II with remington factory 225's or 250's hold sub 1 in groups. I shot it and have seen it shoot sub 3.5 in groups at 400 yards. He did put a timmy trigger in put that a must with most rifles now days. He killed his elk at a lazered 326. I have one in 30-06 shoots just fine.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Mr MD>
posted
My dad has a left-handed laminated stainless in 30-06. From what he says, it's a sub-minute-of-the-angle gun with just about everything he puts in it. Last time I visited him, he showed me a three-shot group he shot with the gun. The group was one hole and measured 5/16". He has done nothing to it other than mild trigger work.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PC:
Just wanting to hear from owners of ruger all weather 77mk11 .338 win mag rifles do they like them ?? and are they happy with them ??

They seem to represent good value for money when you look at prices of other rifles.

The most accurate rifle out of the box I have ever seen or owned!
.275 three shot group @ 100 yds. W/ rem. brass / CCI250 / 69.0g IMR4831 / 250g HORNADY SP/ 3.340 oal

Cant go wrong!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They certainly seem good value when you consider you get a set of rings as well. I do want a .375 H&H stainless synthetic rifle but the win m70's are big $ here in Aus. A .375 in a cz 550 is obviously great value but it lacks the stainless synthetic attributes I like. I have been thinking that the MK 11 in .338 win mag would be a good value compromise.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From the bench, and without much effort, I usually get a 1-1/2" 3-shot group at 100 yards. However, with careful aim those three shots usually print about 1".

This rifle is not super accurate, but it is very reliable, and every time I shoot it -with a clean and cool barrel-it shoots to about the same POI.

Mine had the ugly boat paddle stock, so I replaced it with another. The new stock has a thick recoil pad, which reduces recoil much more that the old one. I also replaced the trigger with a Timney's, and the gun smith adjusted it to 3-1/2 pounds. I have killed 5 moose with this rifle so far, under weather conditions from rain to snow, and temperatures from 70 degrees F. to about 20 degrees or so. I haven't had any problems whatsoever with this rifle, as well as the Leupold Vary-X III on it.

It is not a pretty rifle, but it is ideal for use in Alaska where hunting conditions can be rough on the rifle.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The stainless / brown laminate Mark II's are sharp looking. I handled one at Gander Mountain last year, and [just for a minute] started to wonder what the hell I was doing with all these old Mausers. A lot of gun for the money.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

Buy the Ruger. I shoot a Stainless/Synthetic M77 MK II in 7mm Rem Mag and I love it. I replaced the boat paddle stock with a Hogue Overmolded stock and it's awesome. Sub-MOA with many different loads (excepting any Speer Grand Slams...no good in my rifle).

The new style synthetic stock seems to hold some promise as well.

Joel Slate
Slate & Associates, LLC
www.slatesafaris.com

7mm Rem Mag Page www.slatesafaris.com/7mm.htm

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote