New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's involved in pillar bedding?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm looking to put together my first fiberglass stocked rifle, probably a McMillan stock. Can someone tell me what's actually involved in having it pillar bedded? I've heard of both epoxy pillars and stainless steel pillars. Is there any advantage to either?
Thanks,

[ 11-13-2003, 23:32: Message edited by: Stu C ]

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
and the pillars I've used are aluminum....and sorry...I'm not going to answer your question.....however, I'll just state that a good job of "glass" bedding.....meaning Brownell's acra glass. is as good as any method I've ever used.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pillars prevent "crush" of the stock over time as you tighten the guard screws. I pillar and glass bedded my wood stock, on a mcmillian i wouldnt bother. I would some marine-tex and just glass bed it. Look it up using a search of old posts, and you will get some really good info.

Epoxy pillars are what you get when you drill out the guard screw holes bigger, and pour the enlarged holes with epoxy (leaving clearance for the screws). I have used adjustable aluminum pillars from brownells, i drilled out the holes to 5/8" and epoxied them in place (after adjusting to the right length). I then ground the tops of the pillars down a hair so there would be a skim coat of epoxy over them and bedded the rifle as normal.

[ 11-14-2003, 14:36: Message edited by: SeanD ]

Posts: 107 | Location: Tigard, Oregon USA | Registered: 02 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107 | Location: Tigard, Oregon USA | Registered: 02 May 2001Reply With Quote