New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reboring
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a nice little rifle built on a G33/40 action which would be an ideal first rifle for my grandson to hunt with, except for the fact that it is caliber .220 Swift. I am reasonably sure I could have the barrel rebored to 6.5mm, but how about 6mm? I'm just not comfortable taking him deer hunting with a .22 caliber rifle, even though I have successfully taken deer with both .22-.250 and .220 Swift. Whom would you suggest to do the job, now that Jim Dubell of Clearwater Reboring is no longer with us?

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Just install a new barrel.

Posts: 17288 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a novel idea! Do you know someone who could perform that task?

one of us
posted Hide Post
High Plains has done several for me all good at half the cost of a new barrel..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
J E S Reboring

715 South 6th Street

Cottage Grove OR, 97424

541-942-1342

Rebore,throat and crown 7mm mag to 338, $275. I only rebored because of the BLR takedown has a barrel extension that is very difficult to remove. Otherwise a new barrel.

One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
I believe J E S only rebores to larger calibers. I think .338 is the minimum, but not sure. A friend of mine had one done to 35 Whelen by J E S and it turned out nicely.

Posts: 1032 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Not sure if you reload for your Swift but a heavier bullet, if the Swift twist will stabilize it, at a slightly reduced velocity should be a good killer on deer for your grandson. With low recoil he should be able to place his shots well (what age is he?).

My 10 yo grandson uses his dad's short barrel (fitted with suppressor) Ruger 223 and has taken deer as has his dad who likes the little Ruger in deference to his 7mm-08 at times.
I've loaded the 65gr Sierra BT for them but they have also used the stock standard cheap Federal ammo with a 55gr bullet too.

My son is amazed at just how well the 223 performs on red deer even on running animals.

Posts: 3912 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote