Find
Notify
Tools

M70 stock info needed
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
I'm wanting to add a couple M70 patterns to my pattern base. Ignoring the pre 64 for a second. Are the classic and push feed the same inletting? Could a push feed featherweight be used for the classic as well?

Next question could the same pattern be used for both the 1 & 2 piece bottom metal.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I assume you meant one-piece and two-piece bottom metal? Confused

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
ive got an extra m70 stock too. from a pushfeed .. pm me with your phone and i'll call to discuss sending you the stocks....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I assume you meant one-piece and two-piece bottom metal?

Yep I corrected it. That is what I get for trying to type before coffee.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
pm me with your phone and i'll call to discuss sending you the stocks

At the current time I'm waiting on my new high $$ hearing aids to get here. Old ones bit the dust. With them a phone was HARD to hear forget it without them. thumbdown

I do find it hard to believe someone can't say if the stock interchange between the PF and CRF

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, the push feed and CRF post 64 actions are the same (as long as they are both long actions; there is no short push feed action) and a FW stock is the same in the action area as others. Now, as for one piece and two piece TGs; I do not know of any factory one piece setups. I have only seen the two piece TG, and floorplate hinge type. The one piece is after market; will it fit the inletting? I do not know as I have never owned one but it should.
They also made a blind box stock for the M70, like the 670 but much later, push feed; no floorplate. I have one here somewhere. I also have a pre 64, 1949 vintage, pattern that I modified so it will take both pre and post 64 actions, the posts only require some hand inletting.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Thanks dpcd

I had thought the outside of the actions were the same.

I have no idea as to the TG. I had thought they were 2 piece but several places listed both on their stock options.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. I have never seen a factory one piece trigger guard assembly for a M70.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both Sunny Hill and Williams make one-piece TG/floorplate units for the Mod 70. They do require different inletting...

Posts: 437 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 20 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dave.

dpcd

I pulled this from Brownells it would appear that some factory came with 1 piece. It also appears that the 1 piece will replace the 2 with a little inletting.

"""Win M70 short action is a drop-in fit for post-'64 Winchester short actions that have an aluminum one-piece bottom metal assembly. Long Action is a drop-in fit for post-'64 Super Grade and Safari Express models that originally came with one-piece bottom metal. Fits stocks that came with 3-piece triggerguard and floorplate, may require minor inletting."""

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I know about aftermarket but I guess I learned something about factory one piece TGs. I will check it out.

One of Us
Picture of ddsipe
posted Hide Post
I have had several M70 Classic (CRF post 64) Supergrade and Safari Express models. They all came from the factory with 1-piece bottom metal. The bottom metal was made by Wiliams Firearms for Winchester.

We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
--Winston Churchill

"Oh, nothing Mom, just pounding primers with a hammer ..."

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay, parallel to the OPs question, I have a pre 64 300 H&H in need of a new stock. Can a post 64 long stock be re-inletted to fit (with epoxy bedding)?

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can a post 64 long stock be re-inletted to fit (with epoxy bedding

Curious as well. Are you looking for something that would be ready to use with hidden epoxy or simply wanting to have a pattern with pre 64 inletting and classic exterior?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It will fit very easily, but you should use post 64 bottom metal as it is wider to match the inletting. You must alter one of the trigger guard screw holes depending how you do it. Usually it is the back one. I put a pre 64 375 H&H in a 1972 Deluxe stock from a 338.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1618 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RR340;

Well, good question. I would use a clean post 64 take-off stock (cheaper, more available), but I am a lefthanded shooter, so a classic styled not too fancy newly cut stock with lines for both scope and open sights would be ideal....

I am not looking to make a full custom gun, just wood that fits better ( original stock was cut and even w/ a 1" decelerator pad, I am too close for comfort).

Can you help?

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ramrod340,

It looks like I'm a little late with my answer but they are not the same. I'll measure one in the next couple of days to verify but it stands in my mind that the hole spacing on a Classic is about a half of a hole further apart. The inlet itself is basically the same but hole spacing is different.

I'm sure this is true when comparing the pre64 to the classic, but not as sure comparing post 64 and classic. I'll check and get back to you.

Shane

Posts: 125 | Location: Soda Springs, ID 83276 | Registered: 25 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some years ago I was installing a couple of the mod. 70 fwt stocks ( about 1980 to 85 as best I recall) with the schnable forends on two custom barreled pre 64 actions.. I had to glass up the front hole and redrill it as I recall, then glass the whole stock..They looked real nice and the guy that owned them liked them for horseback hunting, and they sure did fit a saddle scabbard nice.

If I use a pattern stock then I glass bed the barreled action to the pattern stock then have a stock cut from that by someone like Shane. Most of the time I use Bondo as it comes out of the pattern stock easier, but at any rate when I get the pattern stock back I remove all the glass or bondo from it and redo it on the next use of the pattern.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote