New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem. M30 ejection?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
While working some shells through my .35 Rem., M30 I noticed that I have to really pull back sharply on the bolt to get the shells to be thrown any good distance. If I work it at a normal speed chances are they flop back into the magazine area.

The cases slip under the extractor but are not tightly held there, they will slip out if I turn the bolt over. Can this be the reason for bad ejection?

Thanks, Rob

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Yes, that will do it.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What's the fix? The extractor claw seems too high off the bolt face, can it be bent down or do they usually crack? New extractor? The gun doesn't seem to have been buggered up much ( or shot much for that matter) over the years.

Thanks, Rob

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Recoil Rob:
What's the fix? The extractor claw seems too high off the bolt face, can it be bent down or do they usually crack? New extractor? The gun doesn't seem to have been buggered up much ( or shot much for that matter) over the years.

Thanks, Rob

Based soley on the description, it sounds like you will need to replace the existing extractor. For positive ejection, the distance between the bolt face and the underside of the hook isn't as critical, within reason, as the amount of grip.

You want to have enough grip on the case to where you can, remove the bolt from the gun, snap an empty cartridge under the extractor and it will hold while you manipulate the bolt in all directions. If it will hold, it will eject. Unless there is something wrong with the ejector. Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Malm.

Does it matter that it's a rimmed case?

Are 1917 extractors fairly common or does someone make an aftermarket?

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks Malm.

Does it matter that it's a rimmed case?

Are 1917 extractors fairly common or does someone make an aftermarket?

It doesn't matter what kind of a rim it has, the required fit will be the same.

If I am not mistaken, the 35 Remington has a smaller rim diameter than the 30-06. This would make the fit fairly sloppy with a standard '06 bolt and extractor. Pull the bolt, insert an empty case and check it out. See how much slop there is. I would have to eyeball it to give you my opinion.

Here is a source for replacement extractors for the M17.

http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.asp?chrProductSKU=412820

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've tried it with an empty and there is slop both ways, vertically and horizontally.

Since the 1917 was designed for the 30.06 and it has a larger rim than the .35 Rem, I would think a new extractor might show the same problem.

I guess back in the 1930's Remington just wanted to use spare parts, the would have had to retool for a different extractor claw. I'll see if I can get a pic up.

Thanks, Rob

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Someone who knows what they are doing could close the bolt face a touch and re-machine it for the smaller rim. A new extractor could be fit to make the cartridge/bolt face right. Or, turn the gun into a 35 Whelen and be done with it. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .35 Rem. is a rimless case not rimmed.

Posts: 317 | Location: Texas Panhandle | Registered: 09 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Remington720:
The .35 Rem. is a rimless case not rimmed.

Of course Rem720 is correct, my slip, thanks.

Malm, The gun is all original, don't need another 35 Whelen (yet) Big Grin

Rob

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Malm, The gun is all original, don't need another 35 Whelen (yet) Big Grin

Had to try. Big Grin

If the diameter of the bolt face is a hair larger than the rim, it will still work. As the bolt moves to the rear, and the case clears the chamber, it will slip ever so slightly until it comes to rest against the "far side" of the bolt face. If the extractor was fit to grip the case with the bolt out of the receiver like I mentioned above, then the rifle should cycle and eject the cases just fine. Good luck!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Malm, here are some pics. You can see that the extractor looks like it's never been messed with and there it doesn't come to bear on the case rim. I tried bending the spring end a bit but the part that rides in the groove keeps the clip end from contacting the rim. Is taking some material off the part of the extractor that rides in the groove, allowing the clip to come closer to the rim, an acceptable fix?

Thanks, Rob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bump.

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
I think these are somewhat caliber specific on the model 30 not like the 1917 where everything is 30-06

or the p14 where everything is 303

yours looks slightly diff. than any I have in the archive. try a new 30-06 extractor first before you bend on that one too much you can stand them on their end in a vice and hit em with a hammer to close the gap but dont do it without a spare on hand Big Grin

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I'll pick up a spare from Gunparts Corp.

What about my idea about removing material from where it rides in the groove, would that work or am I missing something?

Thanks, Rob

One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
it might pull it off the front of the bolt if it does not have enough in the groove.

it is not the holding side to side but against the face that lets it eject best or that seems to be the problem you are having.

also check to be sure the ejector spting is not broken before you order parts. you may need one

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I assume you mean the ejector coil spring? Will check.

I went to Numerich and though they don't have any parts for the Rem M30 they do have them for the P17 Enfield, these parts are interchangeable, correct?

Thanks, Rob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Got a new extractor installed and seems to work OK. It's the same length of rim engagement as the old one but holds the cartridge tighter to the bolt face.

Rob