New
Find
Notify
Tools

how to free float a barrel?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a rem 700 I just put in a boyd laminate stock. I bedded it with 3 layers of tape under the barrel. Now I can't slide a sheet of papaer between the stock and barrel. I was thinking of opening up the barrel channel by wrapping sandpaper around a dowel rod. Any better or faster ways to do this?
Thanks

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I use electrical tape around the barrel and still have to remove a little bit of bedding material....you can use the wooden dowel and sandpaper but here's the tool I use.....and it's slick!!
http://www.gunline.com/inletting.html

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of foxfire
posted Hide Post
I've used these scrapers to clean out the barrel channel before. They remove material and really don't allow you to take to much at one time.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=6521&title=SCRAPERS

Posts: 359 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
both of the above is what i use. trust me on this one, don't do it anyother way or chances are excellent you will have a mess on your hands.

can you say ... NO DREMEL TOOL for this jobSmiler

Posts: 225 | Location: houston, tx | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kory
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I use electrical tape around the barrel and still have to remove a little bit of bedding material....you can use the wooden dowel and sandpaper but here's the tool I use.....and it's slick!!
http://www.gunline.com/inletting.html

vapodog,

I've always been curious about this tool. Do you need to pick one with a diameter that matches your barrel or use a smaller diameter? I suspect it is the latter since most barrels are tapered.

Thanks,
Kory

Posts: 860 | Location: Montana | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
smaller.....

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I have a rem 700 I just put in a boyd laminate stock. I bedded it with 3 layers of tape under the barrel. Now I can't slide a sheet of papaer between the stock and barrel. I was thinking of opening up the barrel channel by wrapping sandpaper around a dowel rod. Any better or faster ways to do this?
Thanks

Pattern makers that work with sheet metal dies have wax sheets in various thicknesses. Since I formerly worked in a General Motors stamping plant I had occasion to become familiar with some of these tradesmen.

I relieve the barrel channel perhaps 1/16"-3/32" more than needed. (except @ the edge of the barrel channel) I then wrap .020" thick wax sheet on the barrel starting 3" ahead of the receiver ring. The wax has adhesive on one side. I them put one layer of postal packaging tape over the wax to protect it from the heat of the bedding compound as it sets up. A thin coat of the appropriate release agent is then applied and the barreled action is then set into the stock with the bedding compound.

This results in a barrel channel that is sealed with bedding compound (in the case of a wood stock) and a perfect .025" (in this case) clearance between the barrel and stock. I usually pillar bed the receiver and recoil lug as a separate (first) step.

This wax can be had in just about any thickness you want, I have even used .250" for some applications. where I wanted clearance for moving parts.

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote