Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel Break-in
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
We cover this periodically, but there are always new ideas. How do you break-in a new barrel?

I follow the shoot one round and clean with Hoppes followed by Sweets for the first ten rounds, then fire two and clean with Hoppes followed by Sweets for the next ten rounds.

Posts: 3832 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
100 strokes with Flitz and then shoot the crap out of it....... Who's got time for barrel break in. JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<Mike Dettorre>
posted
First thing I do is take the barreled action out of the the stock and squirt some liquid soap in it.

Then I boil about two quarts of water and pour in down the bbl.

The above process gets all the machining residue and oils out of the bbl and "opens" up the pores.

Then I do about a 60 to 70 passes with JBs

and then I shoot and clean 2-3 rounds at a time.

------------------
MED

The sole purpose of a rifle is to please its owner

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with dutch on this one. Good barrels don't need break-in and bad barrels, well--- there just bad barrels. I clean them first with JB to get any left over tooling junk out and then go shoot.

Posts: 165 | Location: PA | Registered: 22 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Last summer I barreled 2 different actions with 7 MM Rem Mags. One is a Douglas on a Ruger and the other a Shilen on a Mark X. I broke in the Douglas with the frequent cleanings, and I just cleaned the crap out of the Shilen and shot it. Both barrels give MOA with the Shilen being slightly better.

------------------
JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote