Find
Notify
Tools

seasoning/drying ebony
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted
I bought a number of sticks of ebony about a year old covered in anchor seal for future stock. I can't find anything on the right way to dry this wood. I would imagine at some point I should scrape off some wax to aid in drying but when? I'm in no hurry to use these pieces as I have enough dry stuff to last me awhile so I want to do it right. Anybody familiar with the time frame and method to properly season ebony? Thanks, Rob.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
talk to either Taylor Guitar or our fellow member Chris at www.walnutgrovegunstocks.com about it.

Taylor's high end guitars have ebony necks, so drying without warpage is paramount in their business.

Chris, he just knows wood.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
we used to dry box car loads of ebony golden padauk and rosewood in the steam kilns with the gunstock blanks
starting around 60 degrees and slowly increasing the degrees every 90 days with a inch of water on the floor
we would scrap off wax on two opposing sides watching closely for any checking
if checking is noticable we would wipe a thin layer of linseed oil on the raw area
have to go real slow

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
talk to either Taylor Guitar or our fellow member Chris at www.walnutgrovegunstocks.com about it.

Taylor's high end guitars have ebony necks, so drying without warpage is paramount in their business.

Chris, he just knows wood.

Rich

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Logger2 has many years in the wood business.

Chris speaks highly of him.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote