THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Parker Hale 375 HH (98 Mauser action) hard to lift bolt handle

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Parker Hale 375 HH (98 Mauser action) hard to lift bolt handle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi, several months ago, I had a Timney trigger and a stronger firing pin spring installed on said rifle, that I seldom use, but I've found a quite hard bolt lift since, when I shoot; to be more clear, most of the bolt lift is smooth, then I feel a sudden, sharp resistance at the end, that need an extra strain. If I cycle the action without shooting, everything seems ok. I suspect the issue to be caused by the cocking system and possibly by the stronger spring and/or the Timney trigger. What are your thoughts?

P.S. My reloads are OK, no high pressure signs, easy extraction, no shiny marks on case heads.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Can't see how the Trigger would impact it. I would vote for the stronger spring and maybe an issue at the end of the cocking ramp.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try the following:
#1. Remove the bolt , pull the trigger and press down the sear to its deepest point.

The sear must dive free completely down. Sometimes one has to round the corners/frontside of the sear if the fit in the slot of the rifle is too tight.

#2.
Looking from the side the sear has a front bevel edge that maybe too steep (or short), so that the bolt can be lifted by force , but not easy (after pulling the trigger).
Sometimes you have to correct this by filing/sanding to the proper angle.

Don´t alter the engagement point of the sear.

Posts: 230 | Location: Germany | Registered: 02 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've reinstalled the original, weaker firing pin spring and put a little grease; now the bolt lift is noticeably smoother. Thanks!

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote