THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Is Oversize Hammer Pivot Hole Common - 1954 Vintage Marlin 39A

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is Oversize Hammer Pivot Hole Common - 1954 Vintage Marlin 39A
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am working on my 1954 vintage Marlin 39A that is in excellent condition. (22 Rifire Lever Action)
During disassembly, I noticed that the hammer pivot hole appears to be larger than its mounting screw, allowing sideways wobble.
The screw and hole in the hammer both appear to still have original bluing, so it doesn't appear to be a wear problem.
This rifle has never before been disassembled. I have owned it since it was new!!
Also, the sear notch in the hammer is not parallel with the safety notch. Very strange. Angle of hammer sear is very obvious.
Blackening the trigger sear and hammer sear slot then working the trigger engagement shows engagement across whole sear.
Is that slop common?
Should the pivot screw be replaced?
Should the hammer sear slot be reworked?
Robert Nisbet
Army Research And Technology Protection Center (DAMI-CDS/ARTPC)
Redstone *beep*. AL

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might try this question the Msrlin forum at Rimfire Central.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php

DRSS Member

Posts: 96 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest that unless you are having functional problems, to leave it alone.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
I'll second gzig5's opinion.
Its a levergun, not a benchrest gun.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found a Master Machinist who also does precision gunsmith work. We went through the parts and he strongly recommended that the sear be reworked due to possible future failure of the "safety notch" to be able to catch the hammer if the sear should fail.
He made a jig and calculated the proper hammer cut angle. I seem to recall him saying it was 12 degrees. After a re-cut of the hammer sear notch, he made a replacement pivot screw. The replacement screw eliminated the 5 thousandths of play that the original screw has. Play is now about 5 ten-thousandths.
The rifle always had a heavy trigger pull (and creep), somewhere around 8 plus Lbs.
With the corrective action completed, the trigger pull is closer to 3-1/2 Lbs and is totally crisp and solid when the rifle is bumped, jarred, or "whacked" with a rubber mallet.
Wish I had this corrective action done 40 or 50 years ago.
A big thanks to my friend Ron, who spent perhaps 4 hours with me on this project.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote