New
Find
Notify
Tools

which base and rings for pre-64 ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a pre64 model 70 in 270 (std weight). Currently it host alum. weaver style bases. I'm not keen on alum. mounting so I hunting replacements. I have a Lupy 3x9x40(matte) that will ride when done. On Leupold's page for selecting bases they show 4 different model 70s (SA, LA, Exp Post 64 (.330rear), Exp Pre 64 (.430 rear). I'm not stuck on leupold bases or rings, I read good things about burris mounts but they don't list any difference between pre 64 and post.

So I thought I would ask the experts. I would appreciate any ideas on the matter recommendations?

By the way what is "Exp" list with the M 70's?

"aim small, miss small" Benjamin Martin

Posts: 90 | Location: EastTN | Registered: 21 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That would take the standard part# same as the new classic.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A one piece Redfield would put you into a steel mount, and still be retro. FWIW, there is nothing wrong with the old Weaver mounts.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know what you want to spend, but I will throw out a high end option.

Conetrol, great mounts on a pre-64 model 70

Here is a link: http://www.conetrol.com/

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get the weaver steel bases.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have found that the optimal height for a pre 64 & a Leupy is about .380 (bottom of scope tube to rec. ring). Most Leupy mounts (and many others) put the scope either too high, or too low. Here are some combos that work:

Leupy quick release .380 (no windage adj.)
Conetrol .410 (a little high, but not bad)
S&K .395

The S&K are my favorite. They are windage adjustable, and look great. I had them make me a custom rear base that centers the rear ring in the base. No extra charge, and it was delivered in a week!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Claybreaker,

No matter what you choose pay close attention to the rear hole spacing or you might end up with off set holes and need to drill and tap a third. Some older weaver bases were notorious for holes that didn't line up with Leupold single piece or two pieces bases.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you; Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your sins, the other for your freedom...."

Posts: 426 | Location: Yakima, Washington, USA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd also go with the Weaver steel "Grand Slam" bases. They're what I'm using on mine.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the valuable input, I still thinking on which way I'll go. The "removable re-zero..." got me thinking about that also, but I'm leaning against that as I don't have the need to remove my scopes normally.

The conetrols are a little pricey for this setup; this gun is a hunter, nothing fancy just good solid gun that is not original, as the stock has been cut and a after market pad added and a blank inserted for the rear site.

"aim small, miss small" Benjamin Martin

Posts: 90 | Location: EastTN | Registered: 21 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by claybreaker:
I have a pre64 model 70 in 270 (std weight). Currently it host alum. weaver style bases. I'm not keen on alum. mounting so I hunting replacements. I have a Lupy 3x9x40(matte) that will ride when done. On Leupold's page for selecting bases they show 4 different model 70s (SA, LA, Exp Post 64 (.330rear), Exp Pre 64 (.430 rear). I'm not stuck on leupold bases or rings, I read good things about burris mounts but they don't list any difference between pre 64 and post.

So I thought I would ask the experts. I would appreciate any ideas on the matter recommendations?

By the way what is "Exp" list with the M 70's?

claybreaker:
I recently picked up the very same rifle in .270 that you have. I too wanted to change out the bases and use quick detachable rings. My scope is a Leupold Vari X-II, 2-7x. Going to the Leupold selection guide, I picked "Winchester mod. 70, Long Action" and of course, my scope. I wasn't sure if I wanted the QR bases or the QRW ones. I finally selected the QRW in matte finish. I too was confused, not seeing a "pre 1964 Mod. 70" selection in guide. Looking closely, I decided on the "Win. mod. 70, Long Action" and came up with the stock numbers. I then measured the hole spacing for the mounting screws and came up with 0.860" OC for the front screws and 0.871" OC for the rear screws. I then purchased the matte QRW bases, tried them and they fit fine.
In short, the Leupold QRW Matte bases you need are stock # 49838. The Leupold Matte QR bases you need are stock # 50054. Sorry, don't have info at hand for the others. You could take your calipers to the store, & using the hole spacing above, verify that they'll fit.
This has been long winded for which I apologize but hope it helps. Good luck,
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote