New
Find
Notify
Tools

Richard's Micro-Fit Stocks Rip-Off
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I know we all get tired of seeing the flame posts that trash a company because they got a product that didn't work or was not as it was advertised. This post is a bit different because it involves deliberate deceit by a company. on December the 8th I ordered a Claro Walnut stock for my Weatherby Mark 5. Richard's had them on sale and I needed a winter project. The stock came this evening and I was shocked when I took it out of the very poor packing job. The stock has been cut just under the cheek piece along the length of the butt stock and then another piece glued in its place. The holes drilled in the butt stock for the recoil pad screws look like they had been drilled with a pocket knife. The trigger area had been over inletted and then plugged and glued with a piece of dark Wood that was very rough. And then upon looking at the grip area, it to had been cut off about an inch above the rosewood grip cap. What in the hell is with that company? Are rifle stocks now being made similar to jig-saw puzzle or maybe toy models? I called Richards and was very polite as I thought maybe this was a stock that got shipped by mistake. the girl who answered the phone was baffled and gave the call to a real smart ass punk in the shop. He informed me that it was not cut but it was just a line left over from the shaping. I asked about the glue bubbles that had oozed out along the cut when it was fixed and he said " Hey look man, if you no like da stock, you send it back and we look at it". I think I'll keep it as an example to others to not travel the path that I did. Sorry for the rant folks, I just hate getting screwed. If the pics don't come Through, MSG me and I'll email them to you.

Joe

The pics are on hunt101.com in the gallery "longshotrx"

Posts: 263 | Location: Where ever Bush sends me | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone have a good place to get the pics hosted?

Posts: 263 | Location: Where ever Bush sends me | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, i was just about to order a laminate stock from them, i think I'll do some further research.

Posts: 50 | Location: SE OK | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of scw
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Anyone have a good place to get the pics hosted?

Try www.hunt101.com, it is free and work fairly consistantly now.

www.hunt101.com

Posts: 281 | Location: Utah | Registered: 24 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TXPO
posted Hide Post
I had a very similar experience with them. I too was astonished at the crappy packing that the stock came in, I think a total of 4 wadded up sheets of newspaper in the box! Mine was a laminate and it had a split along the side. These are just a couple of the problems I remember. I called them, wrote a note and sent it with the stock asking for a refund.....my credit card was credited with no questions asked. I learned my lesson with them...I went with Boyds for the stock on my .375 H&H. But if I had it to do all over again I would go Accrabond.

Posts: 700 | Location: Wallis, Texas | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
LongshotRX, I sent you an email. Please reply as soon as possible.

Terry

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the post.

I have a laminated in route from them right now. I hope it has no problems.

Back to your stock, I don't think that's a cut and reglue because I can't see any sign of it in the butt end grain. Based on your photos and my pc resolution I would agree that its a machining mark. A couple seconds with a sander will verify.

I hate to hear about this and sincerely hope you can get it all ironed out.

Regards,

Dan

Posts: 179 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan, I thought about that but the grain is mis matched. The pics do not show the difference in the two pieces of wood. But just to be fair, I tried sanding it and got no where.
the thing I hate is that the stock fits great and the inletting in vise-tight.

Joe

one of us
Picture of JohnAir
posted Hide Post
I'm worried now. I ordered a #102 in exhibition grade English walnut with ebony tip installed at 90�, true classic forearm, 1/16" oversized inletting and solid rubber orange color presentation pad 14" LOP. This was on Nov. 3rd. I have not recieved it yet and hope it is nothing like the one you describe. I'll let everyone know when I recieve it.

John Airala
www.sportingd.com

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
It looks to me like there is a compression of the grain in the butt stock picture. Like maybe the stock was repaired by cutting out a crack. But, it could just be my old eyes and poor monitor.

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ramrod, I think that is just what happened. It looks like maybe the stock split when one of the recoil pad screw holes was drilled. I just can't figure out why they would ship a stock like this.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I ordered a Richards Thumbhole Target laminate in mid-July; I got it in Mid-November. Initial inspection showed it to be of good quality but with some roughness to edges and surfaces. I expected this and am not upset by it. Their website states that the stocks are NOT drop-in stocks; that some shaping and sanding will be required. I am going to paint mine a steel gray like that found on the Ford Mustang; it should look good with my stainless barrel and action. By painting, I can cover any surface imperfections. I think my stock is a good piece of wood; we'll find out when I one day, some day, get to put my project gun together. I am moving back to Nevada, going OTR and won't have a physical address, just a PO box. There won't be any time for building a gun any time soon.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
a friend ordered up one of Richard's stocks a year ago, after his factory Winchester .338 mag cracked in half after 15 rounds. When he picked up the stock, he thought it may have previously been a railroad tie, and I didn't much disagree. 95% inletted? HA! It was a POS, and after a couple of arguments with the shop manager, and rather than making a 2 hour drive (again) to go see these fine people, my pal burned the stock in his fireplace.

Then he bought an Elk Ridge laminated rig, which although not perfect, was a huge improvement over the crap that Richard's MicroSh*t sold him.

Caveat Emptor. Pay with a Visa or MasterCard, and then you have recourse if the product is not as advertised and the vendor won't make it right.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I'ld rather just order a hogue (vomit) than another RMF
jeffe

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm calling Rod at Acrabond in the morning and ordering a stock from those folks. I think I'll get one of the laminates that they make for my MRC m1999 as well.

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I used Richards a couple years ago to route a piece of my own wood......the work was poorly done...

It's the last business they have received from me.....I won't go back.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JohnAir,

About two years ago, I ordered a English Walnut Stock one grade under exhibition from Richards Micro-Fit. I had to wait about 8 months for it. When I opened the box, I found a stock that is most likely not English Walnut as its quite soft and absolutely no figure. It had about the same amount of figure as a piece of balsa wood and almost as soft. Would I buy another stock from Richard's, not only no, but hell no!! I will see them in hell before I do. I hope yours turns out, but if I were you, I would seriously think about another source.

Posts: 791 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sent the pics and a description to Richard's and got a very honest email back. Mr. Peterson stated that the stock was very definatly glued and should have never left the shop. He offered to refund my money or exchange the stock and kick in a recoil pad with a recoil pad already installed. Thats decent service and it was a very quick reply. So we'll wait to see if the new stock is better.

Joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
What grade of wood was this sold as? Was this sold as a repaired stock? Butt looks cut and glued to me. I can see the line in the end grain and the side shots show the grain not lined up. What does a piece of work like this cost?

Posts: 449 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I'ld rather just order a hogue (vomit) than another RMF
jeffe

Sorry Jeff:

But I love my HOGUE, it is a far cry from waiting 6 months for Richards stock, and then be unhappy with it.

Richards used to be OK, but have really slipped in recent times.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
First thing I thought of was the Arisaki stocks where they glued the toe onto all their stocks because of the wood shortage. I'd call the shop and then, if they don't make good, the postal inspectors (if any part of the transaction went through the US Mail). I used to sit back and take things but now I'll spend $100 to get $25 that's due me. I hate this sort of thing.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The stock reminded me of Arisaka's too.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had a run-in with RMF too. I sent it back they credited my card, I never looked back. It seems to me that they don't know much about stockmaking. The product is poor and quality control non existant. I think they don't care and figure if someone is unhappy that many of the customers will not persue the matter. If you do persue it they refund your money. To me it is not worth the trouble. Most any stock companies will be a better deal, even if you pay a bit more.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of alvinmack
posted Hide Post
I hate to throw salt on the wound. But this isn't new. There's been quite a bit of history on them if you go through some of the posts. Of course most of the history is fairly negative. I dont think I've ever been happy with the majority of semi-inlet stocks on the market.

Either make a pattern of your own and send it out to someone with ample skill on running a duplicator. Either that find someone who can machine you a semi inletted blank. That will ensure that the end product will be what you desire. Although you might want to have a bandsaw to pare off all of the excess wood.

I don't have a bandsaw yet. But that will be my major buy of this year. Although I have to submit the purchase order to the Requisitions department of the household

-Mike Cayford

Posts: 448 | Location: Lino Lakes, MN | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
UPDATE

So far I have received several Emails and phone calls from the folks at Richard's. seems the good members of AR have flooded them with emails and they are a tad worried about their sales. They have openly admitted that the stock was a mistake and are replacing and upgrading it. They are paying the shipping for the piece of firewood they sent me to be returned and the freight for the new stock to be shipped to me. The service I have received from the management has been prompt and courteous. When the new stock is received, I will post pics of it and I'm hopeful that it will be a damn sight better than the first attempt. Thanks for helping out folks, I really appreciate it.

Joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good to here your progress with Richards micro

I hope Great American Gunstocks pulls through with a good product . Im still waiting for my stock. I had to send one back because it wasnt cut like a Gary Goudy that they said it was .
That was 12 /17 /03 when I sent it back and they said they would send another out in a couple days.
well I waited through the holidays being patent.
I finally called today 1/6/04 and politly asked if my stock had been sent.
The man sighs... (like im bothering him I guess) . I have already paid my credit card bill for this stock... Anyway he now states that he has not sent it . he has not had time to go pick one out. ( he had told me he already had several for a swedish mauser with AAA fancy walnut already made). well now he tells me again he will get it out in a couple days.

Ok im patent and thank him...

I hope this stock arrives and Im happy with it.

Got my fingers crossed

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am sorry to read all the bad press on Richards. I have several rifles, now and in the past,stocked with their stocks, all the cheapest grade, and most of them seconds, and all have been decent. The seconds usually turn out being the best looking, because of a little knot or imperfection that gives it"character." I am waiting on a Monte Carlo in a higher grade right now, and have been for over two months. I hope it is ok.All in the past have been for mauser actions. This one is for a LH Sako. I'm crossing my fingers.

Posts: 200 | Location: Tin Top .Texas | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GSP7:

About 18 months ago I ordered a fully inlet, finished stock from GAG. I got the stall tactic, too, as this stock was pictured on their site and supposedly finished. After about a 8-10 week delay, it finally came. It ended up being about 98% inletted. It is a beautiful pattern (Gary Goudy) with sharp, crisp checkering. The fit was so-so, with a bit of gap along the barrel and a bit more at the bottom metal. It was nicely finished, fitted with a Pachmayer Decelerator pad. Other than the fact that it is a bit larger overall than I expected, I'd say I got about what I paid for. I think there is a huge market out there for semi-custom stocks between $500-$1000, but for some reason, no one seems to be able to consistently deliver a quality product, on time, for that price. If we all could afford Chic's work, our problems would be solved.

BTW, do you have a link to the GAG site? They apparently have moved to a different web address.... Good luck.

MKane160 aka BigDogMK

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GAG is at:

http://www.gunstocks.com/

It works, I was just there.

Joe

posted Hide Post
This is completely and utterly counter to my experience with the company. I've purchased about a dozen stocks from them and have had two custom made (inletted).

Of those, I had ONE "error" and it was promptly and happily replaced.

ONE complaint on a list, where the "user" made ONE attempt to "solve" the problem before starting to blow badmouth is BS IMO. If you don't like the person you talked to, call back and talk to the head man. There ARE language issues at Richard's if you're talking to the "underlings" so if there IS a problem, set UP the foodchain before you claimed to be screwed.
geoff beneze

one of us
posted Hide Post
Geoffb... I have heard a few posters say they are happy with Great Americans . The origanal I was sent stock seemed inleted well and it was a nice peice of wood. However It didnt look like a Goudy style . I posted pictures and others agreed it wasnt. More like a Darrwin Henley pattern.

I want a old classic style. I hated to return it butt it just wouldnt grow on me.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
geoffb

I see this is your first post, so welcome to AR.

However, anyway you slice it, you will be in the minority if you praise Richards very much. As was mentioned above there have been other threads about this and most of the posters were people who were not anywhere near as happy as you seem to be. My own friend's experiences who have used Richards lately have proved very disappointing also. One person who especially sang praises for them a couple of years ago is very upset with the last few stocks he has gotten from them. He feels their quality has slipped so bad he is thinking of looking elsewhere. It seems that is what most folks on these forums are saying also, so I just feel something is not right and I fully admit I would not order a stock from them at this time either.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Quote:

This is completely and utterly counter to my experience with the company. I've purchased about a dozen stocks from them and have had two custom made (inletted).

Of those, I had ONE "error" and it was promptly and happily replaced.

ONE complaint on a list, where the "user" made ONE attempt to "solve" the problem before starting to blow badmouth is BS IMO. If you don't like the person you talked to, call back and talk to the head man. There ARE language issues at Richard's if you're talking to the "underlings" so if there IS a problem, set UP the foodchain before you claimed to be screwed.

geoff beneze

If the company authorizes an employee to handle phone calls, (complaints etc.) then they have to live with the results of that employee's actions. In this age, products are available from all over the world so it's service that sets one company above any other. If their cuctomer service sucks it says a lot about the company. If they don't have competent employees handling the customer service issues that come up that says something about them also. The product was defective (admitted later) and the contact about that that the customer had with the company was unsatisfactory, any customer has the right to make as much noise about it as they want. You were treated to your satisfaction but obviously many others were not, this tells me that the company has some issues with how they handle their customers.

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote