Find
Notify
Tools

D'Arcy Echols Legend ........
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Chet
posted
First, before I get labeled a braggart or a snob, I want to say that I am making this post not to brag about my particular rifles, but to laud praise on a guy that really seems to be able to build a rifle that just plain works.

I have a Legend in .300 Weatherby that I had D'Arcy build about 6 years ago. It has fired hundreds of rounds and has been used from New Mexico to the Yukon and several dozen places in between. I was impressed when D'Arcy delivered the rifle that he was able to get 200 grain Partitions to shoot in the .100-.200 range from its thin lightweight barrel with the load he had worked up for it (Norma Brass, 80 grains IMR 7828, Federal 215 Match Primer). I became more impressed with this rifle when I found that even with my relatively meager shooting and reloading skills that I was able to get .200-.400 inch groups day in and out with various bullets including 180 grain Sierra's, 200 grain Accubonds and 200 grain Barnes TSX's using different powders primers and brass.

My other one is a .338 Win mag on a Winchester Classic action that was, I believe, the first .338 Legend that D'Arcy built. It is also similarly un-fussy in that it will shoot a wide range of bullets including 210 and 250 grain Partitions, 225 grain TSX's and 300 grain Woodleighs into less than .500.

Last year I had D'Arcy make a second barrel in .416 Remington for the .338 Legend. I finally got around to working up a load for it this weekend using the 350 grain Barnes TSX and R-15, starting
at 82 grains and working up to 84 grains. The first 2 shots went into .240 with the third shot
opening the group up to .520. It was one of those days with a variable 5 mph left to right crosswind, so I am sure the rifle could put all 3 in .240 on a calm day.

The velocity was also very good. At 2675 fps its trajectory is
practically identical to the 250 grain .338 factory load at 2660
fps.....with a little more wallop.

More importantly than the accuracy though, is that in 8 years I have never had either one of these rifles jam, stovepipe, override a cartridge or otherwise fail to feed. That is not something I can say for any of the other rifles from custom gunmakers that I have had.

In fact, I took delivery of a rifle last night from a very well known and well respected gunmaker that charges nearly as much as D'Arcy for his rifles. I immediately disassembled the rifle to give it a good once over and clean it up (this was a pre-owned rifle). It suffices to say that I'm not sure the rifle was actually finished when it left the shop......Echols would not deliver a rifle with as many rough edges and gaps as that rifle has.

While it is true that an animal shot with a custom rifle is not any deader than one shot with a Walmart special, I will say that if a guy wanted to buy one or two good rifles to hunt a lifetime with...these rifles would be good contenders.

Thanks,
Chet

Posts: 290 | Location: Northern Rockies | Registered: 24 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you are creating quite the stable of top tier rifles. Good thinking on your part! clap

The animal may not know what it was shot with, but YOU do. That is what matters. We all do this for fun and passion, and it sounds like you are squeezing the most out of your hunting life. You will always remember the rifle being carried in the field, cleaned in camp, the way it felt as you slid it forward for the killing shot. Yes sir, your rifles are sure to enhance your memories. I love to hear of people who appreciate quality and understand the added benefits it can bring to their life.

I have a question about the .300 Weatherby. How long is the barrel, and what is the diameter at the muzzle? I am in the planning stages for a .300 Weatherby for myself and can't decide what I will do for the barrel. Work won't start on it for 18 months or so, but I have started accumalting parts, but keep scratching my head over the barrel particulars.

Congrats again on your awesome rifles and the please they have brought you in the field and on the range!

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chet
posted Hide Post
Thanks Marc. I could not quote you the barrel diameter off the top of my head....but I will measure it tonight and let you know.

Chet

Posts: 290 | Location: Northern Rockies | Registered: 24 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Chet, thanks for sharing your experiences in your dealings with D'Arcy. I wish there were more in this business with his work ethic. Too many so called gunsmiths, or, gunbuilders these days taking short cuts and not standing behind their work. It's good to know that there are still those who give a shit! thumb

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quality never goes out of style and it is remembered long after the price is forgotten.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recall meeting D'arcy at the Colorado School of Trades over 30 years ago. Even as a student, he was a superior craftsman. I'm glad to see he's pursued his passion. So many of them went into other fields away from gunsmithing.

"You can lead a horticulture, ... but you can't make 'er think" Florida Gardener

Posts: 808 | Location: N. FL | Registered: 21 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chet
posted Hide Post
Marc,

The barrel on the .300 Wby is 26 inches long and is .565 at the muzzle.

Chet

one of us
posted Hide Post
One fact that is sometimes overlooked about D'Arcy Echols AND Company is that he has some great talent working for him. Brian Bingham is currently working for him and is doing a fantastic job according to what I've seen and what D'Arcy tells me. I know D'Arcy and Brian personally and they are both extremely talented and hardworking. I imagine that working in the Echol's shop is a dream job for a young, skilled rifle builder, but Brian is certainly deserving.

Posts: 210 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: 20 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Chet. Do you like the 26" tube? I was leaning 80% to 25" and 20% to 26"

Ralphie-

Have you been lucky enough to visit the shop? I would love to see it myself one day.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've spent a fair amount of time in the shop.

Posts: 210 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: 20 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chet
posted Hide Post
I don't mind the 26" barrel. D'Arcy told me at the time that he does not really recommend shorter than 26" on a .300 Weatherby. If a person wants a shorter barrel he suggested a .300 Win Mag. Having said that, if you really want a 25", I'm sure the difference in velocity and muzzle blast would not be that great.

Chet

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Would love to see some pictures of your rifles some time.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote