New
Find
Notify
Tools

Parker Hale Action
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is the opinion, or reality, of the quality of Parker Hale Bolt actions?

The one I saw recently looked like a copy of the M98 Mauser.
Is this true?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Most were made in Spain by Santa Barbara. Quality varies. Early ones were forged, later ones may have been cast. All are believed to have a full C ring.

If the ring has dual extractor cuts, it may be an FN or Yugo action, as some early PH rifles are rumored to be.

There are a lot of variables in British assembled 98's. Each one has to be judged on its own merit.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only desirable "Parker-Hale" rifles are those rather rare ones made on the Brno ZG-47 actions. These are known as the "Hussar" model and are so marked on the left receiver rail, they are usually found with a hideous "California" style stock.

"Parker-Hale" rifles are very common here in Canada and I have examined scores of them from the '50s production onward, I have never seen one with an F.N. action although they may exist, I would expect that Yugo and Santa barbera actions were the ones used. Many of these rifles actually have very good barrels and shoot extremely well although they are not the finest examples of British gunmaking I have ever seen!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I traded for a Minland imported by JANA, has bnp marks,
C-ring action, with an UGLY stock. Shoots real good.

mr

Posts: 58 | Location: ALASKA | Registered: 02 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

I think with all of that said that I'll stay away from them. I saw one on a used rack and considered it, but not knowing anything about the source manufacturer or quality controls didn't pursue it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a good choice, unless you have the oppurtunity to disassemble the rifle and give it a close examination.

On the other hand, Parker-Hale did chamber some rifles in 9.3x62 and .404 Jeffery, so it does pay to give the rifle a closer look whenever you see a P-H for sale.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
IMHO, Parker Hale made honest "working" rifles for the most part. I don't recall seeing any that I would call pretty, but they were all normally shooters if in at least half way good condition.

As already said P-H made excellent barrels and I have heard that they supplied them via the trade to the like of Rigby at one stage.

I would think a rifle in decent condition on a Sanata Barbara action would make a good candidate for a project, depending up on the price of course.

My local gun shop has a P-H 1200 Safari in 375 H&H for a private sale at present but the owner wants about $550 for it. As it needs restocking or at least restoring i think that is a bit much...

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote