New
Find
Notify
Tools

308 improved
 Login/Join

<re-loader>
posted
Has anyone made a 308 improved?? If so what was the gain-----in grains & in velocity?????????????

Thanks R-L

<LReynolds>
posted
I bought a Rem 700 308AI a few years ago at a gun show. I experimented with it before I rebarreled the action to another cartridge. My results showed velocities to be right in line with a standard 308 ---- sure makes a nice looking case though.....LR

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that rather than 308 Improved a better term might be "308 Altered". I dont think there is any real improvment. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3535 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<sure-shot>
posted
You might want to contact Darrell Holland at www.hollandguns.com He has built and used the 308AI exclusively. One thing to keep in mind with any of the Ackleys is that to realize the gain in velocity from the improved case you must select your powders carefully. You will gain extended case life, more consistent headspacing and less trimming chores with the improved case. If you are a handloader then the Ackley version may be for you. Keep in mind that for every anti- Ackley Imp individual there is a pro-Ackley Imp individual. You either love em or hate em. sure-shot

P.S. By my posting I'm sure you guessed I am pro!