New
Find
Notify
Tools

savage barrel die
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A friend just gave me a savage muzzleloader barrel that has some messed up threads. Is there any place that I can rent a die to chase these threads? I would be willing to buy one but so far all the prices I have seen are around $200, which is a little to much for a one time project. Thanks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have found if you get into a search engine, such as Google, and punch in the data on the thread (diameter and pitch) for sale it will bring up lots of websites. Don't be afraid to buy one that is foreign made for a one time shot. I found them to be very cheap, far cheaper then the $200 you mentioned. Take note that there are dies for cutting of new threads and dies that are chasers for cleaning up threads. The later one sounds like what you're looking for.

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
use a "thread file"... snapon sells them.. they are files with multiple rows of cutting teeth.. used to restore threads...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mscdirect.com. I ordered one for a customer and I think it was around $60, but you'll have to know the thread specs, it's not listed as a savage barrel die. Check their home page on the right hand side for discount coupons, they have a new one every couple days and can get up to 40 percent off.

Posts: 385 | Location: Brunswick, GA | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help. Someone on another site sold me one they just happen to have laying around.