New
Find
Notify
Tools

Comb height
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently purchased a Sabatti and the comb is a bit high for me. How is the distance for the drop from bore center line to comb measured? Can you determine this by using certain facial landmarks such as the distance between eye and cheek or is it just a matter of trial and error fitting?

Eric

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Cleaning rod inserted part way works for me. Measure from center of rod down...

Posts: 4883 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks BNagel. Do you have a way to measure what I need it to be based on my particular physical features or do I need to find someone with a "fitting stock" to determine what is the correct drop for me?

Eric

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eleeton, there are several ways to do your project. The best is with a qualified fitter. A rough way is to have someone help you. First, make sure the firearm is empty(no snap caps or anything in the chambers)! With your eyes shut mount the gun...get comfortable. The other person is at the muzzle end and will ask you to open your eyes. DON'T MOVE. With a ruler the person will then measure from muzzle end to center of pupil. This is not exact science but it is a quick method. A qulaified try gun and fitter are best. For rifle shooting it is definitely a good method but shotgunning you need field testing for best results.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, the previous post is incomplete. After the measuring part. When you have determined where you ARE looking you need to determine where you WISH to be LOOKING. Traditionally the pupil of the eye should be at rib level or half rib level with the pupil bisected. For a rifle you should be level with the rear sights V and the pupil resting in the middle of the V from the front of the firearm.

Dennis Earl Smith
Professional Member ACGG
Benefactor Life NRA
Life NAHC

Posts: 311 | Location: Tygh Valley, OR | Registered: 05 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dennis' observations are sound. Now...you have to remember that the eye (especially on a shotgun) is actually the rear sight.

The old rule of thumb comes into play here.."The rear sight must be moved in the direction you want to change impact"

If you're shooting the feet off your pheasants, you'll want a higher comb..or... many times pitch angle will lower or raise impact.

Same holds true with impact beng right or left...a thicker or thinner comb or better yet, proper cast.

Yep..a try gun is really the only sure fire answer to precise fit ....by a knowledgeable pro.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess that is what I was afraid I was going to hear. I guess I'll have to try and find a shop that can do the job in San Antonio or Houston.

Thanks for the feedback,
Eric

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Just scope it and your problem will disappear. Or install higher sights. I will PM you.

Posts: 17277 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote