New
Find
Notify
Tools

pre64 m70 receiver finish
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can the rough grey finish be replicated with reasonable cost and "everyday" bluing materials available???

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes but it takes a good man to get the color right. The original receivers were listed as sand blasted. I have friends who use a coarse bead blast to replicate. Sadly most are gone or done gunsmithing.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1618 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I blast them with black beauty and hot blue them; they are darker than the original gray. If you want gray, then zinc phosphate them.

Posts: 17269 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With the zinc phoshate do you still bead blast with a coarse media?

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I actually have one we did with coarse sand and rust blue. It turned out great but is more black than grey.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, you blast with coarse media; not bead blasting; that is blasting with glass beads. Different thing; the beads do not leave a rough enough finish. It's a very gentle process. All phosphating works best with medium or coarse blasting. And you can do it yourself; get the chemicals from Brownells.

Posts: 17269 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks guys!!!