New
Find
Notify
Tools

J.P.Sauer 90
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone have any info on this rifle?? With the rear locking lugs, is this system as good as the conventional up front locking lugs?
Tried to go on the Sauer web site but the rifle has been discontinued and they offer the info.

<eldeguello>
posted
IMO, NO rear lockup can be as rigid or as accurate as a front locking system. Some have come very close, like the old Schultz & Larsen.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Still, these are very fine guns and the difference is more hypothetical than real in a hunting style rifle. If you like that gun and can get it at a fair price it will serve you well. Correct me if I'm wrong but this is the same gun as the Colt Sauer and is still quite sought after in many markets.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tiggertate:
Yes this is the same gun as the Colt Sauer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Sauer M-90, and a beautiful rifle it is. It shoots the same loads as my Ruger #1. 62 gr. of RL- 19 and a 150 gr. Ballistic tip shoots at 2940fps. and 1 1/4 at 200 yards. It is the nicest rifle I own!

Posts: 388 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The rifle have been sold in great numbers in Sweden.
The problems have been numerous.
The magazine is rubbish, and does not rarely come off the gun, when you need it the most.
Seen several cracked stocks...........
Very bad constructed triggeraction.

Just cause the gun is expensive doensnt make it good.

Regards H�kan

Posts: 70 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 26 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HGlass,

I have seen several and they were the smoothest bolt actions I have seen. If you need any contact within the Sauer company, let me know. I can put you to someone senior if you need any information/help. Just send me a PM.

Good hunting!

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In theory, a rear locking action should not be as strong as a front locking design. So every time I meet somebody with a Sauer 80/90, in particular if the rifle is chambered in a Magnum caliber, I ask if they have any problems with it. I have yet to meet anybody actually reporting such a problem. The action is as smooth as can be. I have heard people say they preferred the Sauer 80 to the 90 - I believe the crux of the matter was the barrel contour. The 80 had a heavier contour, and may consequently have been easier to get to shoot well. In general, both the 80 and 90 are highly thought of here in Switzerland. Have yet to hear about complaints about split stocks etc.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote