New
Find
Notify
Tools

barrel wear due to friction?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was reading on another forum where a couple of individuals were convinced that high velocity cartridges like the .220 swift and 223wssm wear out barrels due to friction of the bullet in the bore.My experience has always been that barrels burn out due to throat erosion and that it is more prevelent in cartridges with a large case capacity compared to the bore size.I have never seen a barrel actually wear out due to friction under normal use.What have your experiences been in this reguard?

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
wear out barrels due to friction of the bullet in the bore.

Uh, no. Wrong. Incorrect. Logic error loop. That's Beer talkin' by the campfire. No way. Nope.*

If it were true the worst wear would be at the muzzle, where the velocity and friction are the greatest.

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Barrels DO NOT “wear†out due to friction from the bullet...they “burn†out due to the burning/expanding propellent gases.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look close at the bore of a gun that's lost its edge due to throat errosion. The muzzle end, where the bullet is traveling the fastest, is usually still in prime condition.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've purchased a number of barrels. All the old worn out ones looked like snake skin just in front of the chamber and accuracy went to hell. There is no doubt that bullet friction is the least important factor in barrel wear.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
they “burn†out due to the burning/expanding propellent gases.

I disagree with that idea too. It is pressure, and to a lessor extent hydrogen embrittlement that does the trick. JMO.

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a result of heat and pressure.

quote:
Originally posted by Rick0311:
Barrels DO NOT “wear†out due to friction from the bullet...they “burn†out due to the burning/expanding propellent gases.

Sounds like heat and pressure to me.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
If friction wears out the bore why does a simple rechamber often bring a rifle back to like new accuracy? The whole bore should be wore, not just the chamber end..............
Pressure and heat, friction may do it in a few 100K rds but the throat will go long before it happens.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote