New
Find
Notify
Tools

Model 1999 stock options
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What out-of-the-box stock options are out there for the Model 1999? Does McMillan make a stock to fit it? Rimrock? Others? Laminated? Wood? Synthetic?

Thanx....

MKane160 aka BigDogMK

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Synthetic stocks: the M1999 can be bedded into a M70 stock, but few (if any) existing stocks will fit the M1999 without some extra inletting work. I think both McMillan and Bansner fall into this category - not sure about other makers (Brown Precision seem non-committal). Many of the stock makers have received MRC actions to develop new inlettings, but it looks as if most of them have chosen to continue to offer their M70 stocks as a solution - not impossible, but not exactly "drop-in" either.

For laminated stock (or wood if you like, since these stocks look more like wood than laminated), things are a lot easier: Check out the "Stockworks" links on the Serengeti page. These guys have drop-in stocks for the M1999 action.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Bansner UL stock that some said would fit a Montana SS SA RH is not high enough for the stack height of the magazine etc.

So my tang sticks out of the stock and so does some of the magazine at the bottom.

I did not do this job. The smith that did it said that it took him 12 hours and he gave me a discount on that part. I think I got the discount because it looks lousy.

I may cut the magazine down myself. Another option is to part it out.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The Bansner UL stock that some said would fit a Montana SS SA RH is not high enough for the stack height of the magazine etc.
I may cut the magazine down myself. Another option is to part it out.

If I'm not much mistaken, the same happened when I wanted to use a Brown Precision stock for a M70. We had to shorten the magazine box - and then the action screws - to get the thing to fit.

What perhaps is more complicated (?) for the M1999, is that the bottom metal (one piece) is deeper than that of the M70 (2 piece). I think that calls for additional inletting - without being a stock/inletting expert by any means. That may or may not be easy/possible depending on which stock you are using. The Brown stocks have a reputation for being fairly thin shelled - i.e. inlet too deeply and you may have to rebuild the shell with cloth and what-not.
If memory serves, the M1999 also differs from the M70 in the tang area??
- mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike and Mike-

I think the situation with McMillan is actually a little simpler. I just picked up my M1999 Short Action in .300 WSM from Hill Country Rifles. They put it together for me using their Hill Country Classic stock of theirs (proprietary) from McMillan. When I ordered the stock they told me that they would order one molded/inletted for the M1999. In looking at my stock it is apparent that they are molding stocks for the M1999 as my stock has a recess to accept the longer tang of the Montana. As a result, if you like McMillans then I believe that you will get a "drop-in."

Also, I was looking at the Richards MicroFit Website in the last couple of weeks and I saw where they are inletting for the Montana as well. I don't know about Great American Rifle Stocks.

Hope this helps!

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Montana Rifleman recommended a company called Lone wolf just down the road for them. It appears they fit their stocks on the montana action....FWIW

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
On the MRC site they have a links page to companies who make stocks to fit the MRC1999 actions.

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been told that ACCURATE INNOVATIONS is doing stocks for both right and left hand MRC actions. I didn't think to inquire whether they are doing short actions as well.

There are a couple of threads going on about them on 24hrcampfire which piqued my interest.

Posts: 1210 | Location: Zurich | Registered: 02 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, all. The links page at MRC was most helpful....

MKane160 aka BigDogMK

Posts: 488 | Location: TN | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

On the MRC site they have a links page to companies who make stocks to fit the MRC1999 actions.

I must be thick (as if we did not know that ), because I'll be darned if I can locate the webpage above. Anybody care to lead the blind??
- mike

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Fjold, there the page was!

I have been in contact with McMillan and Bansner (both of which appear on the list), within the last 3-4 months about stocks inletted for M1999 actions. At the time, they were both relying on stocks inletted for M70 actions. This could admittedly have changed since then. This just to point out, that because a stock supplier appears on the MRC list, does not necessarily mean they can supply an M1999 drop-in stock (which you did not imply in your first post, anyway). Best bet is probably to get in touch with the individual stock maker and ask specifically about the M1999 inletting.

- mike

P.S. Fjold, why is it that I always seem to look at your posts for so long??

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
www.boydsboy.com

wood, lam, etc..

jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know for a fact that Mcmillan has the inletting for the Montana 1999, including the short action. The bottom metal inletting is the major difference, as well as the bolt release recess. I have one in hand that I ordered several months ago. I ordered it for a 1999 short action when I spoke to Lynn. She knew exactly what I was talking about. It was a full inlet and must be bedded to fit properly, as it should be.

Posts: 33 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 18 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
30 Caliber Mag Fan was so kind as to inform me that McMillan does indeed now inlet specifically for the M1999 (I had been waiting for 30CMF to announce this - did not want to "steal his thunder" ):

Mike-

Quote:

Here's the direct response I received from McMillan.

Hope this helps.
30 Caliber Mag Fan

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2004 3:51 PM
Subject: Re: Stocks for Montana M1999 Actions

We don't mold the inletting in on our stocks, we machine it, but to answer your questions, the stocks are made specifically for the Montana actions and are inletted specifically for them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan, I ordered a Basner's and it was not inletted for your action. They (Basners) said it was inletted for the Win 70 SA and it was easy to modify. It was not easy to modify.

Posts: 187 | Location: eastern USA | Registered: 06 September 2001Reply With Quote