New
Find
Notify
Tools

416 Rem Help
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just acquired a New Haven Model 70 in 416. It shoots a nice tight group at 100 from a clean barrel. Hornady 400 DGXs. The groups go steadily down hill after that and by a dozen shots the groups are 3" and getting worse. The barrel is allowed to cool between shots. Would lapping the barrel help, maybe start over with a break in procedure, what? Any suggestions? I posted this in BIG BORES also.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FLINCHING????? I know my group would go to hell quickly with that caliber!

Blagg Rifles, Eastern OR

Posts: 103 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 06 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Hornady bullets foul like crazy in my .416. Accuracy wasn't affected as badly as you describe but cleanup is a multi day event. I've just gone to shooting TSXs in mine.

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shoot clean, shoot clean, shoot clean. Smooth out the barrel over time.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to own one of those. It is now a .458 Lott. However I remember when it was a .414 Rem it would do the same thing. I took it to a smith and we both took a look through a borescope. Boy, those were the most ragged lands I had ever seen. I don't know if the factory reamer was dull or there was tool chatter during the reaming, or what. Who knows, maybe your barrel was the next one in line. At any rate, it might not be a bad idea to have a look at the bore through a scope.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tapper2
posted Hide Post
Try fire-lapping, it usually helps that situation.......Tom

SCI lifer
NRA Patron
DRSS
DSC

Posts: 654 | Location: Denver, Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

Rifle is at the gunsmith for a through cleaning, then a light barrel lap, then re-shot
with original ammo and then shot with Barnes ammo. That should tell me more.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1928 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick R:
Hornady bullets foul like crazy in my .416. Accuracy wasn't affected as badly as you describe but cleanup is a multi day event. I've just gone to shooting TSXs in mine.

This is copper fouling correct Rick?

The reason I ask is that I wanted to shoot the Hornady 400 round nose 416 as a "practice" bullet instead of my 400 Nosler Partitions. I have the Hornadys on the way and then I found this.

Do you clean it with Sweets or Montana Extreme or something of that kind?

I might be sending the Hornadys back and just use the Nosler.

Would you share what you found, and how did yours come out Butch?

Thanks.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Begno,
I had one of the Win's in .416 Rem for awhile. I had the same problem with it and a .375 as well. I sent the .416 off and had the barrel lapped, even shot bore lapping bullets through it trying to get it to smooth out. Nothing I did worked. Shoot it 20 rounds and clean it for 4 days. It was cheaper for me to sell the gun and buy a different brand.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote