New
Find
Notify
Tools

MRC M1999 Triggers?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
With all the talk going on here concerning the Montana Rifle Company's actions, I haven't seen any discussion regarding the trigger group.

What say you that have the actions in your sweaty little hands? Crisp triggers, good pull weight adjustment range, minimal creep and overtravel?

Will I be happy for use on a hunting rifle, 2-1/2# pull?

Thanks, Rob

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A dead ringer for the new M70 configuration. My smith installed a set screw as a sear adjustment at my request and the trigger is fantastic. Like the M70, it needs stoning and I would suggest the set screw but it is one of the best trigger designs going in my opinion. I am REALLY pleased with the action as a whole.

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Snowcat is right about the MRC triggers being a "dead ringer" for the M70 trigger - at least in terms of design and dimensions. So much, that you should be able to use M70 after-market triggers on your MRC, should that take your fancy. However, if memory serves, the MRC triggers are actually manufactured with an improved process compared to the M70 trigger - I believe the process is called something like "wire EDM cutting"?? The result is supposed to be quite a lot better than a standard M70 trigger - although I can't comment on whether stoning will still be required (M70 triggers normally do need that!). A trigger pull of 2.5 lbs should be fine with an MRC trigger.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So, snowcat... you have yours?

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since the M1999 has a Model 70 trigger configuration and comparable geometry, as well, could one use an aftermarket trigger such as a Jewell Trigger for a Model 70?

It seems to me that I read a post earlier in the year where someone described fitting a Jewell trigger to a M1999.

Any thoughts?

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are a couple of references to fitting a Jewell to an MRC and a M70 in this thread, make sure you catch all the relevant replies: the initial reply is a bit downcast, a later one more optimistic. The crux of the matter: both on MRC and M70 actions, there may be a bit of fitting involved.

MRC Technical Tips Thread
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote