New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re-stocking a TRG to a sporter stock???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently acqauired a TRG-22 per a recommendation from Charlie Sisk. It shoots incredibly well, for sure. I am wondering if anyone has ever used the barreled action from one of these to build a hunting rig with a sporter style stock?

I have a TRG-S, and it shoots well, but it doesn't do near the TRG-22 in terms of accuracy. Toting the 22 is not an option as I think it weighs about 86 pounds! I realize that the weight itself may contribute to it's accuracy, but I'm just intrigued by the possibility of turning this thing into a hunting rig.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fish, It would be sacrelage to defile a TRG-22 by Sporterizing it. Just enjoy shooting it as it is, they are one of the funnest guns to shoot since they are so adjustable, have a fantastic trigger, are so accurate etc.. If you want an accurate lightweight 308 try a Kimber Montana, or Steyr Scout.
BTW. my TRG-22 loves 44.0grs of N-140, Sierra 175gr Matchkings in Lapua brass, you might give it a try.
Instead of spending money sporterizing your TRG-22, use it on the TRG-42 you'll be wanting soon..... Smiler Smiler

they are infectious...................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
All you really need to do is add an ebony fore end tip and a steel grip cap, maybe swap out the pad for an inletted Silvers pad.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DJ, very interesting, I've worked into 46 gr of N-140 behind the 168 J-4, Lapua brass and Fed GM 210 primers. Nothing bigger than one ragged hole. I wish I could get a trigger like that on every rifle I own. What scope and mounts did you use on your rigs. JB at Accuflite got me set up with the picatinny rail and Smiths rings, it's really high up over the action, but hell for stout, I'd just like something a little more 'standard'--I've currently got it scoped with a Swaro TDS 4x12x50--maybe not the appropriate 'tactical' type scope, but I'm sure shootig it well.....

I'm working on some of my other rifles to improve their shooting, this thing has set a high bench mark!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fish, I've got the QR Optilock mount on both. If I had it to do over I'd probably go with a Picatinny adaptor and good solid rings. The only real use for the QR mount is on the 308 which has auxilary iron sites (the rear stores under the cheekpeice!). You have to time the lever very carefully to make it work around a 3rd turret scope like the Nightforces I have on both rifles.
I like the Nightforces on Tactical rifles. They are just short of the Swaro's optically but they have more bells and whistles and are hell for tough.
I shot both in our local "Prarie dog" match last weekend. I didn't shoot too well in the classes but won 1/2 the Cash Pot in the "egg" shoot (It was cherry tomatoes at 300yds) with the 338 Lapua. Great fun guns to shoot and at 300yds they compete well with full blown benchrest rifles in the wind at 300yds (when I'm shooting halfway decent!)............DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do it Fish,

Then sell me the old stock.
Did you get yours from Bachman pawn in Texas, or Cott Firearms in Missouri?

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DJ, I've got the picatinny rail with Smith's rings on it right now, Swaro 4x12x50 TDS, doesn't really feel 'tactical' enogh, but figured it could go on one of my hunting rigs if I ended up not liking it on the TRG.

Lawndart, I got it from JB at accuflite, he actually set it up and then sent me the components disassembled, put the rail and scope back on and presto!

It's so accurate, I've thought about taking it to one of our food plot stands, where 300-400 is common, and taking a whack.........

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
It would be the cat's ass shooting over the food plot. With that muzzle brake on you will be able to see the bullet strike.

A nice "tactical" reticle is the Horus Vision.

That will get you out to 1,000 yards with the right load.

This rifle would also be good for "F-class" competition.

You can also shoot "Across the Course" matches with it (NRA 200,300 & 600 yards).

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lawndart, thanks for the thoughts--I was contemplating buying the brake---I'm convinced--the Horus reticle, which scopes is that available on (I know US Optics does it)

Thanks--Don