New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger NO 1 348 Project
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Currently have NO. 1 set up with 22-250 barrel and took to 'smith to remove and use as pattern for 348 barrel. My plan was to purchase solid used NO. 1, re-fit w/ 22-250 barrel and away we go! This is a problem for it is doubtfull that the 22-250 barrel will match up/headspace with different action than it originated. Naturally extractor would have to be fitted, but that is not a problem for 'smith has a box full of them or can be purchased reasonably. To simplify the project, just going to go ahead and install 348 barrel, and can re install 22-250 on same action when desired. Should mention that the 22-250 barrel is drilled and tapped for Unertl scope blocks/barrel mtd. and obtaining TDC on different action possible problem. Anybody see any flaws in this arrangement?? As always, all feedback appreciated.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless you are dead set on putting the 22-250 barrel on another action, I would just sell it. Bare No. 1 actions are rare, and I don't see much of a discount for shot out barrels. I have been trying to buy a 220 swift that looks like someone took a torch to the first half of the barrel, and the shop is still asking a normal price after months. This can lead to a neverending story. If you want a 22-250 No. 1, then just keep the one you have and buy a different one to part out. Don't build two rifles.

The last time I tried to swap one barrel to another, it was 180 degrees off. You end up having to rechamber, index, and recut the ejector notch, which is just like starting with a new barrel.

I really wouldn't think about a switch barrel No. 1. You have to remove a lot of hardware to unscrew the barrel because the forearm hanger, and it is one of the hardest of the rifles to get a decent grip on the barrel so it is easy to ruin the finish.

When I was at LUXUS last week, they were showing me some of their remaining No 1 stocks. They CNC their stuff, and said they had a special problem with them because they had seen as much as 50 thousandths difference from gun to gun. I found this out the hard way when I made four Ruger no 1 stocks at once. I used a "mule" action to avoid the possibility of damage to the finished guns, and found that I had to refit all four.

Posts: 1238 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Art S,
Your description of trying to fit a barrel on the NO. 1 is same as my local 'smith expressed to me. Will say that between the two of us, have worked on quite a few over the years and developed method to not marr the barrels, at least so far anyway. 'smith and I are good friends and can go over to his shop in evenings and he and I together do varous projects so the removal/install of barrels is not a problem either way. Sometimes when I can't sleep get these hairbrained ideas and should know by now that some are just plain wrong. Thanks for the response and appreciate your additional insight to the matter.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote