Tools

Barrel re-bore and re-chamber
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I need a barrel re-bored and re-chambered
to either 35 Whelen or 9.3X62. Original
caliber is 270 Win.

Please provide Gunsmith names and contacts.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,

Tetonka

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can probably get a new barrel installed for less expense.

Posts: 203 | Registered: 09 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1234 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I assume you are speaking of a bolt action rifle with a "Mauser" type locking/barreling system....

If you are, I have found reboring and rechambering to be significantly less expensive than rebarreling for anything like the same quality of barrel. There's no longer a 50% savings like there used to sometimes be, but a nice little pocket change, none the less.

That is especially true if you have a rifle with iron sights as well as a scope, and want to keep the iron sights and have them come up to a true 12 o'clock top center.

Where that is the situation and the sights or their mounting ramp(s) are integral with the original barrel, sometimes reboring/rechambering is the ONLY practical way to do the job and stay inside a working man's budget.

Both rebarreling and reboring require someone, somewhere along the way, to center, drill, rifle, thread, chamber, crown, and perhaps lap, the "new" barrel, and to remove the old one, do any truing wanted to barrel and/or receiver, and install the barrel to be used onto the rifle.

On the rebored one there may be no profiling, exterior polishing, or bluing required, and no extractor relief to cut.

A raw new barrel purchase MAY show an economy of scale on the basic rifled tube, depending on how big a producer the maker is, how much profit margin his reputation allows him to demand, how many employees he pays, the benefits he gives them (if any), etc.

But, the old barrel to be rebored will show the economies of less time & work to profile and finish, and to fit, match, etc. the existing rifle. Plus there may be the savings of not having acountants running the show, no middleman costs and profits, etc.

Sometimes new barrels shoot more accurately than rebored ones, but often the reverse is true also.

So, basically, I feel that the cost savings tips the balance in favor of the re-bore.

Best wishes, AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try this for reference. Jim DuBell of Clearwater Reboring is the best in my opinion. He does cutrifle rifling. Ed Shilen inspected one of the barrels that Jim did for me and said it measured less than .0002" variance from end to end and had a very smooth finish. He called it excellent. Figure a new barrel at $225-$325 plus chambering at roughly $225.
http://www.deltagunshop.com/cl...g/rebore_prices.html

Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Try this for reference. Jim DuBell of Clearwater Reboring is the best in my opinion. He does cutrifle rifling. Ed Shilen inspected one of the barrels that Jim did for me and said it measured less than .0002" variance from end to end and had a very smooth finish. He called it excellent. Figure a new barrel at $225-$325 plus chambering at roughly $225.
http://www.deltagunshop.com/cl...g/rebore_prices.html

Butch

A good example you posted there, Butch. A potential savings of up to $100 by reboring. And, that assumes that the brand new barrel would not require bluing, profiling, sight installation charges, or anything else which would require extra time & cost.

I am not personally aware yet of ANYONE who considers Dan P's work shabby either, and it would save even more dollars.

Based solely on your recommendation, I would probably opt for Delta's work IF the rifle was going to end up as primarily a target-type tool. If it was a hunting rifle or a rifle without an action intended for super precision work, I'm sure Dan's reboring would be MORE than satisfactory. He's just 90 miles up the road from me here, and if there was bad to be heard, the local gun gossips would likely be spreading it around.

Depending on which was having the better day when they did MY barrel, either MIGHT come out ahead.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dan is very good, but normally way behind. You need to make sure when you will get it back.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks much for the help guys,
I now have 2 good references and some basic
prices to move forward.

Good Shooting

Tetonka

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Question Is Cliff Lebounty still doing work??
That where a buddy of mine had a .375 H&H M77 MKII rebored to 505 Gibbs Cliff did great work but that was so long ago he may be retired

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cliff LaBounty is retired now. I got one of his last rebore jobs, a model 70 06 rebored to 35 Whelen. It seems to think it is a varmint rifle. JES reboring does very good work from what I am told. Here's a link to his site.

http://www.35caliber.com/index.html

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kerry,
Cliff sold his reboring company to Jim Dubell and clearwater Reboring.
Butch

One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Good to know Butch. Now I can refer people to the correct person.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JES reboring will do a good job for $225-$250

DRSS
Beretta 45-70 belgian mag
Tikka 512S 9.3 x 74R
Baikal o/u 30-06
Looking for next one

Posts: 290 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote