Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Remington 700 "J" locks
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Why does it matter if they do or don't?

Either replace it with an aftermarket one, or just lock it open and throw away the key.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They just look stupid, like a wart on your nose. I hope they remove them, they've lost quite a few sales because of it.

Posts: 372 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 13 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
I shoot left handed and the pain in the ass "j" lock is on the same side as the safety. Everytime i push the safety to fire I jamb my thumb into the worthless thing. Would I ever get another M700? Sure, but an older one that does not have the wart!

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I shoot left handed and the pain in the ass "j" lock is on the same side as the safety. Everytime i push the safety to fire I jamb my thumb into the worthless thing. Would I ever get another M700? Sure, but an older one that does not have the wart!

A Dremel tool would fix your right up.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If we didn't live in a country that people took others to court for their own stupidity, and if we didn't have courts that honored that stupidity, we wouldn't need to have locks mandated on the guns we buy. This was an easy solution for Remington to comply. Personally I don't find it that obtrusive.

Bob257

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a remington with the J lock. As Orion says, Unlock it and throw away the key. I don't even notice it is there.

Posts: 968 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have replaced the firing pin assemblies with the older non locking versions.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote