New
Find
Notify
Tools

Take down latch
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am getting ready to make another takedown Mauser, the first one I did I used a screw to lock the barrel. This one I would like to use a spring latch in the forearm.
So my question is. Does anyone happen to have a photo of the latch out of the rifle? I can picture it in my mind on how it should be made, but not sure on some of the finer details such as spring placement and securing the unit in the wood.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rolland, are you looking at a spring-loaded latching system like ZHat used to offer? If so, the NRA Gunsmithing Guide had an article on converting a Model 92 to takedown that used very similar spring loaded lock. I could email you pictures of the pages if it'd help. Fred Zeglin's version had a steel insert on the action side of the model 70 that substituted for the Model 92 action and a large ball bearing IIRC that had a spring underneath and substituted for the magazine tube follower locking the barrel.

Boy I keep reading this and still isn't very clear. Two plates on the stock with a spring loaded ball bearing kind of like in this picture on Connecticut Shotgun sight:

https://connecticutshotgun.co/...gby-24-barrel-27807/

Might be a different type of latching system you're looking at; sorry if that's the case.

Posts: 1729 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
There are several different types of latches under forearms. From levers that lock the plates together, to sliding thumb latches that pull a button forward, out of engagement with the rear plate. That type is easier to make.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The one I was most interested in was the lever style.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It's just a spring loaded bar that pivots in a mount in the fore end and latched into a notch in the rear plate. How fancy you make it is up to you; look at one of DW rifles and you will see the ultimate.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote