Notify
Tools

Sons of Guns looking for new gunsmith
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This is not a hoax. Mike
(edited to fit forum space)
I am currently looking for a new on camera gunsmith to join the team at Red Jacket Firearms. I am writing you in hopes that you can pass this opportunity on to any gunsmiths you know who may be interested in the show. For more information please feel free to contact me and please see job posting below:
Position is paid.
Are you an expert Gunsmith? Do your repairs and designs leave your customers in awe?
Are you unmatched in your craftsmanship?
Applicants Must Be at Least 21 years old and have experience as a professional gunsmith.
To Apply Please Contact Us At redjacketfirearmscasting@gmail.com Please Include the Following:
Your Name, Age, Location and Contact info
* A description of your gun expertise and a copy of your resume
* Your experience and training as a gunsmith
* Tell us why you’re the best choice for the RJF team and our show.
Amberlee S. M. Mucha
Casting Producer
FSA Entertainment
redjacketfirearmscasting@gmail.com
(213) 915-6044 Office
(213) 402-2647 Fax

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Did the big, fat guy die or did he eat one of the other guys?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In one of the shows they gave a new gunsmith an Arisaka .He looked at it and asked "how does this work ?? "
I laughed and laughed and never bothered to watch again !
jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The big fat guy is on one of the other 'reality' gun programs.

I realize they have to introduce a lot of over-the-top hyperbole and special effects to appeal to the (obvious to me) audience of 14 year old's they cater to. Much of what I see on those shows is inane, and would be funny if they weren't showing the non-gun public that we are a bunch of blustering fools. On the other hand, maybe that is their aim...

Posts: 332 | Location: Annapolis,Md. | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I for one like the show and support anything that supports gun ownership and use.
Yes there are personality issues at times but for the most part these folks enjoy weapons and the big flash and bang and I only wish everyone did.
Hopefully they can replace the tatted up biker that quit with a more normal individual who brings a little added balance to the show.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of xs headspace
posted Hide Post
Yeah, they need a tech adviser who can veto stupid ideas that the producers come up with. This show is better than the guy from Colorado with the Helicopter who charges $2000 for a tricked out Rem 870...

Hippie redneck geezer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW! I'm sure gonna betray my ignorance here but from the sound of the comments, I'm beginning to be glad that I've never seen any of these shows (grin).
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whether you like the type of guns they show or what "entertainment" is added the fact is these shows (from what I gather from friends,acquaintances and family that watch them) do add to our gun culture. They're making guns seem like more than just a tool to do a job, they're showing what many of have said for years, that they're a lot of fun. I have a buddy I've been trying to get into guns for years, unsuccessfully. He loves this show, he just ordered a Daniel Defense AR. He never said it was the show that sparked it, but I know it wasn't from listening to me.

Different strokes for different folks. As long as their paddle is moving the canoe the same direction I'm happy.

They need one of these cantankerous old gunsmiths on the show. The ones that are good but have a real opinion on things and do it their way. I remember watching the Boyd Coddington show for a while, there was this old guy on there that did the body work. He was a persnickety old goat, but had mad skill with lead fill so they didn't want to lose him. I thought he brought a lot to the show. sometimes just somebody doing something stupid and them cutting over to his facial expression.

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Over the last 50 years, I have worked close with true artists in various trades and crafts. Most of the best of them could best be described as somewhere between persnickety and raving SOB. Apparently, the path to the top of many lines of work has a decided effect on the personality. Perhaps dealing with the public, pehaps not.

Mike Ryan - Gunsmith

Posts: 352 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd like to see a more intellectual 'smith. Someone who could walk the audience thru precision design and machine tool setups/production. Preferably with a decent body mass index minus full body tattoos.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
These programs do not improve the images of shooters, but that may be their purpose.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I received the email. Amberlee is probably not real. I asked for $100,000 per episode. They said they didn't want that much experience.
HaHaHaHa.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
These programs do not improve the images of shooters, but that may be their purpose.

From the perspective of the producers, that may be a very perspicacious statement.

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
sofaI have not seen the first "true" gunsmith on any of these reality gun shows yet. Just parts changers with bad attitudes.

The only"Boom" to this show is from the Tanerite.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Yes, I received the email. Amberlee is probably not real. I asked for $100,000 per episode. They said they didn't want that much experience.
HaHaHaHa.

You're obviously in a different league than me, Butch. I asked how much I would have to pay per episode to be on the show and they just hung up.

dave

Posts: 1115 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 02 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have already worked with too many clods.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave, Regardless of your experience, you are over qualified.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I'd have to show up drunk just so I wouldn't kill one of these dip dunks and the dumb arse crap they do and pull on the shows.

Take any one of those idiots and put them in a real shop and watch the failure.

There's a huge difference between a real smith and a parts swapper.

Have one of these guys fit a barrel to a 98 then install a quarter rib and a Banded front sight.
Or resolder the barrels on a double.
Cut threads without the use of a die.

Hand inlet a stock that you can't afford to replace if you F it up. Thats a good smith in my book.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Casting Director did not finish his list of qualifications.

1. Must have tattoos on all four limbs and minimum 50% coverage on body. Tattoos on head is bonus points. Piercing extra points.

2. Must be cross eyed or gotch eyed like Jack Ellam.

3. If on parole must have proper release.

4. Must be properly trained on use of Krylon spray paint.

5. Must have experience using a disc grinder.

6. Must be an expert marksman. Minimum qualification is to be able to hit a large zombie target at 25 feet.

7. Can not shave face every day, shaving head daily is encouraged though.

8. Experience with large heavy hammers a must.

9. Experience with big acetylene cutting torch good.

10.Experience with a Sears Cracker Box Welder is good.

Craftsman

Posts: 1545 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn, You are correct!

One of Us
Picture of Chuck1911
posted Hide Post
Im still trying to figure out
"21 and experienced"

I wanna 30 year old honeypot that farts $100 bills too.

...All wishful thinking....lol.

Chuck Warner
Pistolsmith
/

Posts: 332 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 15 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Left out one qualification...if you are going to marry the boss's daughter, your parents must have to have had the same last name BEFORE they were married.

Posts: 121 | Location: on the road | Registered: 01 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AlanFaulkner:
Left out one qualification...if you are going to marry the boss's daughter, your parents must have to have had the same last name BEFORE they were married.

Some places in Appalachia that is common.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
It just goes to show you that all "Gunsmiths" Are not created equal.

A Saiga is a gun and so is a Krieghoff. But if you own a Krieghoff you can buy Red Jacket
If you own a Saiga you can buy a red jacket

There is a difference.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I worked in an east Texas gunsmithing business in the early 90's. Folks there must be kinned to the ones at Red Jacket. Guy comes in and says "Hey fellas, I want you to meet my dad, uncle Bob."

Craftsman

Posts: 1545 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
The thing that concerns me is your skills as a gunsmith are being solicited in form of a casting call and you are not being solicited by an actual Red Jacket employee but rather a member of the production company. It'd be one thing if Will or one of the people who works for him shot you the email but that somebody from the video crew sought you out tells me all I need to know about their business.

They're no longer as much a gun company as much they're now a form of entertainment. I'm glad they turn people onto firearms and all but its still kinda sad.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Many so called reality shows involving guns or gold mining or storage auctions or pawn shops seem to me to be mostly Hollywood. If there isn't any drama, they just write it into the script. example..."if I screw this up, we're done or I'll get fired". I wish I had a benjamin for every time I heard a version of that one. I think they are searching for a gunsmith that might want to dabble in acting? CB

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5231 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Craftsman:
I worked in an east Texas gunsmithing business in the early 90's. Folks there must be kinned to the ones at Red Jacket. Guy comes in and says "Hey fellas, I want you to meet my dad, uncle Bob."
rotflmo Know what a redneck has in common with a Ford C-4 speedo cable gear? Both are hard to find with more than 20 teeth.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5231 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
They're no longer as much a gun company as much they're now a form of entertainment.

Reminds me of Oral Roberts and exhibition wrestling. Professional fakers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The fellow who does the trigger builds or re-works seems the best of the bunch.
When they brought in the jap 38, charged $150 to clean it and told the owner there was no safety on the gun I lost intrest.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
When they brought in the jap 38, charged $150 to clean it and told the owner there was no safety on the gun I lost intrest.

Same here, plus I much prefer to watch the morons in Denver with the shop owner who's wife and daughter do their clothes shopping at "We-B-Ho's".He's got some real smith's on his payroll!

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.
Razz

Posts: 42 | Location: Wild and Wonderful New Mexico | Registered: 12 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:

It is my understanding that he is also the person holding Red Jacket's FFLs and explosives licenses. The owner and his daughter had to surrender their's to the BATFE because of some inaccuracies in their record keeping. Get your mind around that one...

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I turned off the TV in the 2nd/3rd {7} episode when the jerk with the tattoos bent over the lathe [running] with his necklace and shop coat dangling toward the spinning chuck and workpiece. Settled for "Worlds Dumbest Crooks" instead.
Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote