THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ Stock Re-finished and/or Re-Shaped (Pics)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would like to re-finish and re-shape my CZ 550 FS 6.5x55 SWEDE...

Are there any members who have done this already with great results?

The wood beneath the CZ finish looks pretty good!

May I see some of your pics so I could get an idea of what's under there and some advice as how one might approach this project...

I am brand new to this and this would be my first attempt at re-finishing a stock...

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated....

I'm a bit nervous with all this ANTICIPATION and I could use everyones wisdom and expertise!

Thank you to all...

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could anyone help me, I would most certainly appreciate it....

Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, where to start. God only knows how many words have been written on stock finishing. Lots of good methods out there. I think a lot comes down to what works in your environemtnal conditions and which application methods you like the best.

SOme books that cover it:

"Double Shotguns" Steve Houghes
"Professional Stockmaking" Dave Wesbrook
I think all of the "Gunsmith Kinks" by Brownell's have good descriptions on finishing methods

Or you can buy a Purdey's Worthog Kit.

Do a search here on this forum, as it has been brought up a lot of times.

Long PM sent with some specifics.

Be sure to ask for help when you get stuck and don't know what to do next.

Good luck!

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marc and Bill,

I received your PM's...

Thank you so very much for all your help
and detailed lengthy explanations...

I will be getting back to you folks when I get back from my Hunting Trip in several weeks...

I am blessed...thank you once again,

Roland

One of Us
posted Hide Post
a month or so ago, somebody posted pictures on this forum of a CZ fullstock they had reworked. If you go back several pages, you might be able to find it.

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
M1 tanker has some pics of a couple CZ's he redid, I think a 452 and a 527, CZ uses elephant snot to finish their stocks, also the 550 stock needs a serious diet, I think you have plenty of meat on the stock to work with, and a refinish job can only help things

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
Yeah,

M1Tanker's stocks look custom compared to what they looked like in factory trim. Often there is some pretty nice wood hiding under the snot they call finish.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4862 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I reshaped/refinished the factory stock on this Brno/CZ ZKK-601 223Rem. Also added a steel grip cap and ebony forend tip. Someone else did the checkering. CZ & ZKK factory stocks can be greatly improved upon with a rasp and a little sandpaper.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice shaping on that stock. Did you rasp the bolt handle too Wink or did the ZKK come like that? Wish CZ had the same idea for the 550... I just can't warm up to the 550 bolt handle.

Todd

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the compliments from you guys about my stocks. CZ does have some great wood hiding under that crappy finish. Here are some pics of the 527 .223 and 452 22lr for you.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

The pair:

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
TMG: Did you rasp the bolt handle too Wink or did the ZKK come like that? Wish CZ had the same idea for the 550... I just can't warm up to the 550 bolt handle.

Todd, my gunsmith straightened and tig welded the hole in the bolt handle. I don't care for the shapes of CZ bolt handles either.

M1, those stocks have exceptional figure for factory wood. Seems like they come very plain or outstanding, not much in between.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back on page 16 is a thread on the CZ 550 Lux...before and after. Thread is from June 5. Has some pics you might want to look at.

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
fla3006- That's an awesome job you did there...I really like it!!! You really took off some wood!!! Real nice, what type of finish is that?

Bill- Thanks for re-posting again they are simply gorgeous!!!

joe25/06- Thanks for the heads up my friend!!! I'll check it out right now...

I'm sorry for not checking back much sooner But I would like to thank every one for taking the time to repond!!!

Aloha,

Roland