Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

De Humidifiers
 Login/Join

posted
Do you use a dehumidifier in your gun safes if they are in your house with heat and air cond. If so any product recommendations

Posts: 5 | Location: NC - USA | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My guns are in a built in closet type of safe. For this I use just a 60 watt lite bulb and that works fine for me. Plus I can see in there better that way.

Posts: 215 | Location: BRF mid west WI. | Registered: 28 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Taurus Bill
posted Hide Post
I have a Remington gun locker. It's a heavy gage steel cabinet with an electronic numbered key pad. It's not air tight and in the main living area so I don't have any trouble with moisture. I don't have any real high end guns so paying more for a safe than my guns are worth didn't seem sensible to me. Also, I live in an upstairs appartment in an older house and I'm sure my land lord downstairs wouldn't like the hole in the floor/ceiling that a full blown safe would create. I wish I could find another one of these cabinets, it says it'll hold 12, but it's more like 6. If you think you'll need something, a golden rod, sold in most gun/sporting goods stores and also Cabela's is a very popular choice.

Taurus Bill

Posts: 179 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: 28 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I second the recomendation for a golden rod, and a box of the rechargable silica powder.. between the two, it will be BONE dry in there.

Posts: 167 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Who manufactures Golden Rods - I have yet to find a website for them??? I need one for 220 V... (A light bulb would be the other option, I just don't know how to fix that inside my steel cabinet?)

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have also never found a website for them. I know midway carries them. I think even midway has a 220 version... maybe I am wrong? A lightbulb (low wattage) would maybe be your best bet)

Posts: 167 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gander mtn and Cabelas both carry the golden rod.

I am one gun away from being happy

Posts: 906 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Midway and Cabelas were no-starters for 220V Golden Rods, sadly. Thanks for the pointer, though. Doesn't Canada use 220V?? Surely they must have Golden Rods made for the Canadian market - a cold and damp place at the best of time Smiler. Sorry Canucks, I could not resist Big Grin I absolutely adore your country.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rats, was just informed the Canucks use 110V as well... bawling
- mike

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
why not get 2 and wire them in series?

I'll check to see if they have different size ones.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
A Goldenrod, light bulb or other device which heats the interior of a safe should be used in an area where temperature and humidity can vary (like a warehouse or garage) but is probably not as necessary indoors where temperature is kept fairly constant and humidity low.
Heating devices like Goldenrods or light bulbs do not take moisture out of the air but retard rust by keeping the temperature of the safe contents slightly above the ambient temperature, thus preventing condensation.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of C1PNR
posted Hide Post
I thought the Goldenrod acted as a dehumidifier as well. Am I wrong?

Heck, a 60 watt light bulb is a LOT cheaper than a Goldenrod!

Regards,

WE

Posts: 312 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
A Goldenrod is simply a heating element, does not take moisture out of the air but prevents condensation. A light bulb is cheaper but burns out every so often and must be replaced, and might burn out long before you know it unless you open your safe often. The Goldenrod in my safe has been running steadily since 1976.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
Just checked, my 18" Goldenrod is rated at 15 Watts....

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote