Find
Notify
Tools

selbys .416
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted
Does anyone out there have pictures of harry selbys 416 Rigby they can post. profile shots is what i'm after. others will be apperciated. too.
Timan

Posts: 1228 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
You mean the one opened up front & rear on a standard length action that has held up all these years despite what the experts say? There was a writeup on it recently in Man Magnum I believe, maybe Nickudu has it on file?

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now fla3006...technically it didn't hold up all these years....I understand he had to have it rebarreled once because he shot out the original barrel... Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 1665 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was Selby's .416 done on a military mauser or commercial ??

It is a sweet looking classic rifle thats for sure......................it's hard to belive the crammed a .416 Rigby round into an M98 !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
He exchanged this Rifle for a 458 Win in model 70 and that is how it came to the current owner.

So in the end Selby traded the 416 for a 458? I thought Ray said Selby's son had the 416 and was using it in Bots.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of reverenddan
posted Hide Post
This rifle also appeared in Rifle magazine in an article by John Barnses. The article was on the 416 Rigby caliber but talked at length about this particular article as being the perfectly balanced rifle.

If you need me to I can look up when the article appeared and let you know. The article had some good photos but the ones listed above are spectacular.

Most people are bothered by those portions of Scripture they do not understand, it is the passages I do understand that bother me. (Twain)

Posts: 203 | Location: Missouruh | Registered: 01 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
These photos are several hundred K each, but are not great quality for all that. I thought I had better pictures, but cant find any.

Picture from Petersens hunting Feb 1996
Picture from Petersens hunting Apr 1997

Fergus

Posts: 266 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What loads and what pressures was Selby running through this gun ??

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a Legendary rifle. Thanks to all you guys putting the effort in to provide photos.
Have not seen photos of it for afew years now, very soothing to see them again.
It is the rifle that inspired my interest in Bestgrade British big game cartridges/rifles.
Some of the primadonna gunsmiths should make a journey too see that rifle, and maybe learn something.

"there are none so blind than those with eyes to see, but do not see."

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys,

Gail Selby Wentink (Harry's daughter) has a web site. Some good stories and photos. It's worth a visit.

http://gabrimaun.tripod.com/index.html

Gail Selby & Harry Selby at Xugana airfield in the Okavango Delta in the late 1970's

Gail, her elephant, and the .275 Rigby rifle.
This rifle was given to Mark Selby by Robert Ruark. It was once owned by WDM Bell.
Now there is another rifle with some history!!!

Visit Gail's Picture Website:
http://groups.msn.com/TheWentinksWorld

And for more pictures visit:
http://community.webshots.com/user/gabriwen

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote