New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remodeling the Model 70 tang
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is there a standard format for remodeling the Model 70 tang?

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, make it look like the pre war Model 70 tang.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
As Tom says, people convert them to the cloverleaf tang. I'm a bit divided on the look. Some view it as a classic look. I find that it sort of chops up the lines a bit. I have also seen the tangs narrowed a bit, starting at about 1/16th of an inch at the top end of each side. I prefer that style better myself. One of the big arguments has always been that narrowing the tang allows you to make a slimmer grip. While it does in fact do that, the actual reduction is not a lot.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Along those lines, no pun here, I like the post war tang fine; no reason to try to improve it. And it hides any gap at the rear of the tang which you might want to avoid stock splitting.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hate to disagree gents, but I prefer the brunette over the blonde on this issue... I personally like the look of the cloverleafed tang and do it on almost every M70 build. To answer Lindy2's question, I shape it by eye to what I find appealing (adds to the custom appeal, no two I do are alike Smiler. I cut it in the mill and mark the points on the DRO so I can mirror the other side keeping it symmetrical. Here's an example:

Posts: 593 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
MNR - Very nice work.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2326 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is lovely.

And so is the bolt handle, ejector button, and custom scope bases.

Are all of those available piecemeal or only on a total custom job.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Labman and Lindy2. All of those are available piecemeal.

Posts: 593 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's not the traditional cloverleaf tang MNR. That's that thinning thingy that I was talking about earlier. I use a 1 inch carbide end mill and drive it right up to the lower flats of the bolt raceways to establish the radius. I don't round the very back of the tang as much as you do, but it's the same affect. The traditional cloverleaf tang has a reversed radius coming off the tang and it gives the tang a plump look. Like the rear portion was put on as an afterthought. I'm not fond of the traditional tang.

I stole someones picture off the net, sorry. But this is the original. It looks like someone said: "OPPS, we need to glue on a piece to put the rear tang screw into"

barf Blech-thooy-me-no-like !

model 70 cloverleaf tang by Rod Henrickson, on Flickr

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very true. I still call it a cloverleaf tang, but you're right it's not the pre-war tang that tom was referring to. I'll stick with calling it a cloverleaf though, just because advertising "that thinning thingy" just doesn't have the same ring to it rotflmo

quote:
Originally posted by speerchucker30x378:
That's not the traditional cloverleaf tang MNR. That's that thinning thingy that I was talking about earlier. I use a 1 inch carbide end mill and drive it right up to the lower flats of the bolt raceways to establish the radius. I don't round the very back of the tang as much as you do, but it's the same affect. The traditional cloverleaf tang has a reversed radius coming off the tang and it gives the tang a plump look. Like the rear portion was put on as an afterthought. I'm not fond of the traditional tang.

I stole someones picture off the net, sorry. But this is the original. It looks like someone said: "OPPS, we need to glue on a piece to put the rear tang screw into"

barf Blech-thooy-me-no-like !

model 70 cloverleaf tang by Rod Henrickson, on Flickr

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the pre-war tang just fine and when called upon to do it, I do my best to duplicate that exactly. If I'm stocking one, I may do some refinements but, in general, try to stick to the original shape.
Pretty hard to criticize the picture posted by mnr though; in any respect. Regards, Bill

Posts: 3763 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MNR:
Very true. I still call it a cloverleaf tang, but you're right it's not the pre-war tang that tom was referring to. I'll stick with calling it a cloverleaf though, just because advertising "that thinning thingy" just doesn't have the same ring to it rotflmo

coffee

Now that you mention it. "Thingy thinning" does have a bit of a negative ring to it! How about: "Reversed radius, cloverleaf tang then?"

Merchandising is a BITCH !!!!

Rod Henrickson