Tools

Re: Springfield 03 into 375 H&H?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Idared
posted
While spending a sleepless morning killing time I came accross this:

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=5771485

Actually a pretty nice looking rifle for that era if it was indeed done by Weatherby.

I do remember reading Weatherby used Springfield actions in some of his earlier rifles but had assummed they were standard length ones like the 270 and 7mm Weatherby mags. Maybe he did do a few longer ones which I guess means a person could do a 375 on a 1903 Springfield if you can do a 300 Weatherby.

Does anyone else have any history on Springfields used by Mr. Weatherby?

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
That would be a very cool rifle to own. I really like a rifle that is built properly on a military action. Especially the 03. My 03 is destined to become a 35 Whelen.

I too would like to know more about Weatherbys built on Springfield actions. I have seen them on FN's but had never heard of him using anything else until today.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That looks more like a .30'06 Johnson Automatics custom circa 1946 which was later rechambered, magazine altered, etc., to .300WM, possibly by W'y.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
That looks more like a .30'06 Johnson Automatics custom circa 1946

vigillinus

Could you elaborate on the above statement. I thought it seemed a bit conservative for one Weatherby made or more correctly that Leonard Mews stocked, but what is a "Johnson Automatics custom"? Did they make complete custom rifles from Springfield actions as well as just simply install some of their barrels on these actions?

Many thanks

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Vigillinus is right on the mark.

Johnson Automatics made sporters on the 1903 auction after the war.

one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
2mp

Many thanks for the info. I was quite sure Vigillinus was correct, as few people have more knowledge than he about these older sporters. Question, is that stock on that 300 Weatherby representative of the style Johnson Automatics used back then? It is quite pleasing to my eye.

One further question, is it indeed a fact that Roy Weatherby used some Springfield as well as 1917 Enfield actions on his early rifles?

Many thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Melvin Johnson invented the rotary magazine Johnson semi auto military rifle which competed with the Garand for US adoption circa 1939-40. He was a Marine so the Marine Corps supported him, also it was a pretty good rifle, but by then the Garand was entering production at Springfield and it was too late. A few box magazine sporters were also made. MJ also developed a light machine gun which did get some Marine use during WWII. After the war MJ started building custom rifles, I think maybe in Providence, RI, issued a catalog, used any actions he could get aholt of, 1903s, 1898s, 1917s, maybe even a Krag or two. His rifles were plain but sound. As to the rifle we are discussing, I doubt very much that Mews stocked it, my guess is that it is a Johnson stock. Nor have I ever heard of a Weatherby on a 1903 action. But anything is possible.

Posts: 1233 | Registered: 25 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No, don't believe I ever saw a Springield in .375 H&H, but I have seen them in .300 H&H. P.O. Ackley knew how to open them and I am willing to bet that Tom Burgess knows also. Now, interest to do one may be something else! Cool, yes, but with other options available it's rather like swinging the the bolt on a Pre-64 Mod. 70 or a Mauser or a Springfield for that matter over to the left side in todays world.

Also, the Mathieu made in the '50's was basically a Springfield and I had 2 at different times in .300 H & H and Weatherby .300 in left hands. I don't recall how they were opened up, but I found them very satisfactory. Roy used them in left hand before the Mark V development. I am not sure if he used any RH actions from them.