Notify
Tools

Mauser 98 actions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Two questions
1. Is the 98 action 4+1 or 5+1?
2. How many can it hold of magnum cartridges like the 7mm Rem Mag or .338 Win Mag?

Rock

Posts: 121 | Location: Elmira, NY, USA | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
and what is the standard magazine length? can it be opened further?

Rock

Posts: 121 | Location: Elmira, NY, USA | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can the 98 take the 7x66 SE v. Hofe?

Rock

One of Us
posted Hide Post
rock,

the '98 is 4+1 for 30-06 sized rounds, and 3+1 when modified for 7mm rem mag sized rounds.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I have a bunch of Mausers. Mine hold 5 + 1 in the 06 case size. The ones I have in 338 and 350 take 3+1.

I haven't done this myself, but I hear the safe way to get a longer cartrige is to make a new magazine box and extend it towards the rear instead of removeing material from the lower locking lug area. I do have a gunsmithing book that goes into deatail of converting an M-98 to 375 H&H and extending the magazine box forward, then removeing just enough from the lower lug area to allow feeding.

I have done a 30-378 on a P-17 and the action was pleanty long enough for the job. I just built a new box and it held 3+1 with no belly.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have mausers that were extended for H&H length cases. Best to start with a deep mag box from Blackburn, Wisner or Sunny hill. The trick is widening the rails in the right spots, but not too wide, taking out metal to fit the mag box, adjusting the slant of the ramp, and getting the new follower to fit.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<t_bob38>
posted
I would call the M98 with 30-06, 7x57 etc. case size 5+0. (or 4+1 if you look at it that way) The magazine holds 5, but the extractor is not designed to snap over a cartridge rim. Of course someone will now say that you can modify it to do so.

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by t_bob38:
I would call the M98 with 30-06, 7x57 etc. case size 5+0. (or 4+1 if you look at it that way) The magazine holds 5, but the extractor is not designed to snap over a cartridge rim. Of course someone will now say that you can modify it to do so.

That is correct! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boha
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500grains:
I have mausers that were extended for H&H length cases. Best to start with a deep mag box from Blackburn, Wisner or Sunny hill. The trick is widening the rails in the right spots, but not too wide, taking out metal to fit the mag box, adjusting the slant of the ramp, and getting the new follower to fit.

I was wondering about these deep mag boxes: Is the width of the box the same as on a standard mauser magazine box, if not is there a known ratio (case - magazine width) to get the staggered line working reliably?

Boha

Posts: 493 | Location: Finland | Registered: 18 July 2001Reply With Quote
<'Trapper'>
posted
I too have several Mausers and rifles built on Mauser actions - all of mine are, I believe, 5 + 1 in the original calibers. Now, I also have a 30-06 Peruvian Mod 1936(?) by FN and I have been told this is the longest of all the military issue Mauser actions. Short of actually measuring it, can anyone confirm or deny this? I don't think it is any longer than a standard '98 but the rear of the receiver ring has been notched to clear the nose of the rounds being loaded. Anyone know of any other differences in this Mauser and any other?
Regards,
'Trapper'

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lar45:

I would be interested to know what book it is you refer to in opening up the 98. I do believe it prudent to open up the rear and not the lowere locking lug. The blackburn box takes most from the front, but who am I to argue with a guru like Ted Blackburn.

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
t_bob38, You are correct that an unmodified M98 extractor will not snap over a case rim if you merely try to close the bolt on a round. However, it IS designed so that it will snap over the rim if you push in on the extractor just BEHIND the extractor collar while closing the bolt. This permits the extractor blade to slide over the case rim, and makes an unmodified M98 a 5+1 for standard-sized case heads. It was designed on purpose to work this way.... a lot of people don't know about this trick, or have forgotten about it. [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
eldeguello

Why did you let out this little know secret?

Mausers or 5 plus 1, except mine in 7.62x39 which is 6 plus 1.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Rock8296

I have a mauser that holds four magnum cartridges and a friends mauser holds four 404 rounds. I tried a mauser today that holds five 9,3X64 rounds. The secret is all in the magazine box design and it's dimentions [Big Grin]

/ JOHAN

<eldeguello>
posted
Major, it wasn't me who leaked this secret. I know for a fact that J. Belk has mentioned it several times on various forums!! [Razz] [Big Grin]