THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 7x57 or 6.5x55 for wife and self :-)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Kind of spliting hairs here. I like them all so much I have all of the above mentioned. I Liek the 6.5 swede the best of them all. Seems to have the best combo of acurracy, clean killing power, and low recoil. Shoots flat too.

Go with 7x57 if you want a little more horsepower, or the 2.57 roberts for a little less recoil, but al in all they are all closer than they are different. Any would be an excellent choice for anyone hunting in the east without being undergunned (for anyone, not just the chicks).

The problem with any of the three suggested rounds (you could also lump in .260 Rem) is ammo availability. You can solve that by handloading. But the reality is that even though there is not a lot of selection compared to 30-06, there are enough excellent choices to get any job done. You don't need a hundred choices if you have one that works. Honady make their excellent light magnum in all three calibers, and all are carried at the Bass Pro here in Atlanta. Now you won't find these calibers in a gas station in N.C. like .270 or .308, but that is not a problem I have ever come accross.

Posts: 130 | Location: Alpharetta, GA, USA | Registered: 04 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would guess the 7x57 would have the best ammo availablity. I like all the calibers mentioned, 7x57, 257, and 6.5x55

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
Don't overlook the 8 x 57. Very popular in Europe. My wife shoots, and loves her 8 x 57. I load it (150 grain) to approximately 2650 feet per second and the recoil is negligible. It is everything the 7 x 57 is, and can be a lot more. Moreover, with a careful search, there are still many mausers to be had in 8 x 57 at very reasonable prices and with very good barrels.

Blue

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

... My ammo was lost on a trip years ago so this is a source of concern. ...

Hey Clint, It appears your major concern is "ammo lost in transit" rather than the particular caliber or cartridge. Pick what ever cartridge you think will perform the best on the Game she will be hunting, work up good loads for her and then "Pre-Ship" the ammo and firearms to your Guide/Outfitter when traveling to Africa.

If you can't trust them to hold onto them for you until you get there, then you shouldn't be hunting with them anyhow.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Well

Calibers worth thinking of is 7X57, 7X64 Brenneke, 270 win, 8X57IS. I have seen ammo for these calibers in Namibia and South Africa. All these calibers are manufactured by most European makers with fairly good selection of bullets. 6,5X55 and 6,5X57 are also nice choices, but can be a bit trickier to find ammo for in some places. I guess 6,5X57 is more common in African than 6,5X55.

257 Roberts is hard to find in Europe. I think you can forget 260, 7-08 and simular calibers.

Cheers
/ JOHAN