Find
Notify
Tools

alkanet root
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted
I bought some of that alkanet powder from Duane now what is the proper way to mix it to use as a stain on walnut?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I added it to the Daly's Sealer and Teak oil with great results.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What was the ratio?

How strong or mild did it turn out?

Craftsman

Posts: 1539 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
What was the ratio?

How strong or mild did it turn out?

Ditto that question. Photos?

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mixed mine up in a quart jar 'bout 3/4s full of naptha. I think I've used it on 4 or 5 stocks. I'm guessin' there's enough left for at least 10 more.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doug,

I followed the Duane Wiebe recipe on his website. http://www.customgunandrifle.c...icle&id=15&Itemid=14

1 1/4oz alkanet root per qt. I let it set for a month, but I think a week would be ok for a start. Others may have a better idea. Really does work well. I worried about particles floating around and thought about straining before using, but I shake it good the night before I am going to apply and let it set then use the "top" or application in the morning.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dall85 , did you put the alkenet root powder directly into the can of finish?

Or did you let it soak in denutured alc or naptha first then pour into finish

Posts: 1845 | Registered: 01 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put the alkanet root direct into the finish. No intermediary solvents.

Jim

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
(1 1/4oz alkanet root per qt.)

Per quart of what?

The stuff i have is more the consistancy of coffee grounds than a powder.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I added the alkanet root to 1 qt of Daly's Teak Oil and an equal amount to the Daly's Sea Fin Ship n'Shore Sealer. Check the link to Duane Wiebe's website for complete instructions.

Jim

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I mixed some with tung oil & let set for 3 days then tried it on some walnut & saw no difference in color from the area that i did with plain tung oil. Confused Is this stuff a powder? Mine is more like coffee grounds.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

One of Us
posted Hide Post
3 days are not long enough. 30 days are about right, in my estimation. The alkanet root I used was like coarse grind coffee with some longer pieces. Shake ocassionaly and let rest. How thick is your tung oil? If it is too thick it will be a slower process.

Jim

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dall85 that exactly the info that I need. dancing

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Yankee Station

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This coloring agent is reported to have been mentioned by Pliny and was known to the ancients. Alkanet Root is a versatile coloring agent, its color being soluble in both alcohol and turpentine. The roots of this plant should be chopped into pieces before using and then soaked. When it is soaked in linseed oil, it imparts a red color which is useful in coloring Mahogany before French Polishing. It gives a gray color when used with alum as a mordant.

A useful tip when leaching aniline dyes or Alkanet Root or other Dry stain ingredients .

First dissolve those Dye agents in a solvent; Alcohol, naphtha ,mineral spirits ,Lacquer ,Acetone

The harsher the solvent the faster dye colorant will leach . In a Glass or Metal jar can with a lid

Solvent parts 4-6 :1 of dye . After a few days of shaking ( Watch volatile solvents for burst pressures or

Popping the Lid,especially On warm days ) .Then either leave the Lid off and allow some of the solvent

too evaporate ;then add too your Oil or you can add without evaporation .

This simply speeds up Wringing the Color from the powder dye so it's usable quicker .

Those types of Dye stains can also be applied with just solvent and allowed too dry , then Oil or whatever

type finish over them may be applied. Mineral spirits is easiest if this method is used , as it doesn't

evaporate as quickly as say Acetone ; therefore minimizes streaking or uneven applications . tu2

salute archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote