New
Find
Notify
Tools

timney into mod 70
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
just bought a timney for my mod 70, has anyone any info on the fitting, it seems that there needs to be some minor fitting required any advice would be appreciated. It also states that the trigger pull should not be set less than 2lbs, I wanted a timney to be able to adjust the trigger to about 1.5lbs, which if this is the case then its going back...

regards

griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Winchester trigger can be adjusted down to about 2 pounds with a little work from a knowledgable smith .

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
I know you made up your mind to use a timney but, the Model 70 trigger is the easiest and best factory trigger to adjust by any competant smith and by most mechanically inclined amateurs. Send the Timney back for a refund and get a smith to set yours up. It will reliably hold 1 1/2 lbs and be as crisp as a glass rod breaking when setup right and shouldn't cost as much as the timney to do it.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks all,
heres the next question, I bought the timney off gunbroker.com so a refund is out of the question!
Out of the two triggers which would you prefer?
Also I tried to fit the timney the other night, and couldn't get the bolt to come back after I fitted it! Turns out that I need to take about 30 thou of the top of the trigger so that it will clear the bolt is this normal?
Again I noticed that the trigger unit does not sit parrallel to the action. Obviously the machining in the action is too deep and the trigger unit over cants and does not sit parrallel. Either a thin spacer plate between the action and the trigger housing would stop this but is not the ideal scenario,or I put up with the unit not being square with the action and file 30 thou off the top...
any suggestions appreciated

regards
griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Timneys, in my limited experience, are anything but drop-in propositions. I remember tearing my hair out over trying to install one in a M70. In the end I gave up, and brought it to my smith - although I have to admit to belonging to the category of "mechanically challenged" people...

If you can safely get your M70 trigger down to about 2 lbs - and I know at least one smith who safely sets M70 triggers lighter than that - then I'd personally go with the M70 trigger. In terms of a lighter weight of pull, the Timney is not going to offer anything extra, and the M70 trigger has the advantage of being ultra-simple, a fact you might appreciate in the field with ice, snow or dust all around.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Give them a call. I have talked to them a few times and they are very helpful.

it's a fresh wind that ... Blows Against the Empire

Posts: 225 | Location: houston, tx | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
had a smith install a Timney in one of my Winchesters-fine trigger. The pros and cons are real. I have used the likes of Timneys for many years here in the bush and never had a problem like mentioned of ice or sand storms or whatnot and if that is the case you're in some pretty severe life threating situations if that is the case carry a handgun as well. I have a FN98 that I will have a smith hone down and I expect that to be the "daisy".

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tried a Timney on my own Model 70 (gunsmith fitted) but in reality found it no better than that of the factory model 70. They (Winchester) are excellent triggers and can be worked to give a let of as low as 2 lbs (possibly even lower by someone who knows what they are doing).

Put the Timney onto e-bay and stick with the Winchester trigger

Posts: 343 | Location: York / U.K | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
For a hunting rifle trigger that is to be set at no less than 2.75 to 3.00 lbs., the Model 70 trigger simply can't be beat. If the trigger and safety system is adjusted and timed properly, etc., you can end up with a truly consistent, wondefully crisp trigger with the original Model 70 unit.

But if you try to set the Model 70 trigger at less than 2.75 lbs. or thereabouts, you run the real risk of creating the potential for a slam-fire if you work the bolt hard and fast during a hunting situation, and yes, I've had this happen to me. None of my M70 triggers are set at less than 3 lbs. and they're all dead-crisp and absolutely reliable.

If you want a 2.0 to 2.5 lb. trigger pull for a Model 70, the Timney replacement unit comes into its own. In fact the Timney has been widely used in the Model 70 for high-power competitions for many years, and it's a proven system. One of my friends has a Timney in his Model 70 22-250, and it's prefectly crisp and reliable.

But I don't consider the installation of a Timney trigger to be a drop-in proceedure. This unit needs to be carefully fitted and timed to the action and safety, or else your results simply won't be optimal, and you can also create an unsafe situation for yourself without knowing it. I suggest taking your rifle to a qualified, M70-familiar riflesmith for best results.

AD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Timney will help over the phone and or send you a manual. I have 5 mocel 70s. 1 of them has a canjar trigget, It's nice but I prefer the winchester trigger. ...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Allen said it all.
Timan

Posts: 1228 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
A stock M70 trigger that's been done by a gunsmith that know's his stuff is a sweet thing isn't it. Wink

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Winchester is a fine hunting and target trigger. In rare instances an aftermarket trigger may be a better application not a better solution. At that point a different action/trigger is the answer.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you really want the ultimate after-market trigger for a M70, the Timney is not it. The Jewell is, there is just no comparison.

But again, if you are happy with a 2-2.5 lbs pull, the factory model 70 trigger really is very good.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 5 Model 70's I have been down the road installing Timmey triggers on Model 70. You half to modify the cocking peace are the caming surface on the safety. Modifing the safety requires disassembley of the bolt. This requires a tool to be made to disamble the fireing pin to got to the safety. If remove to much metal you screw things up. Parts half to replaced. I installed tmo Timmeys on my Mobel 70's A lot of work and hard to get safety to work smooth. I highlly recommed you sell the Timmey. The Model 70 trigger is easy to adjust. If you wont a trigger the will work like a Timmey Send it to the gunsmith listed below. Mark has done three for me he is an expert on the Model 70. He does a complete trigger job on the factory trigger. The three he did for me break nice and clean, I have them set a 3 pounds. They pass the drop and rubber hammer test on end of barrel. Mark can safely get it down to 2 to 2.5 pounds.

Mark Penrod
Penrod Precision
312 East Colledge Ave.
North Manchester, IN 46962-1141

260-982-8385