New
Find
Notify
Tools

M48 Yugo Mausers - good quality?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I saw some today at a friends shop. He brought them in for a customer, they are in unused condition, perfect in every way.

Any use for a custom gun.

The blurb that came with it said they were the epitome of the M98 design, built at the end of WWII, but did not suffer from the shortages that the Germans experienced and hence, better made.

Thanks, Rob

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to hell if God is a gun nut, for all the "sporterizing" I did in my life time. My brother bought me one and I have not done anything but shoot it, as is. They are an intermediate action and strong as anything Mauser ever made. IF I find one that has been "sporterized" then God will understand, I hope, if I put a 9.3X62 barrel on it.

Posts: 426 | Location: Nevada | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think much of the blurb might be BS, but I do believe the part about being well made - just roughly finished. The ones I have seen, and the one I own, make K.Kale Turks look well-finished. Tool marks galore. For an extra 1/4" of receiver length and a longer mag box, I would use a Czech action... I would however give serious thought to using one of the 24/47 actions -- many of those were made by FN, or are Yugoslavian copies of same, finished to a much higher standard than the M-48.

Good luck,
Todd

How is the Chilean doing? I wish I could have bought that one...

Todd

[ 11-26-2003, 05:05: Message edited by: Todd Getzen ]

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some of the ones I have seen have stamped bottom metal and poor finishing. The ones with the milled botom metal seem to be better quality.

They are obviously ideal for the 57mm class of cartridges, but I have seen them used for the 9.3x62 and 7x64 as well.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Comparing my M48-A to my M98 I see:

Both are large ring Mausers, the 8X57 bbl that was on my 98 is now on the Yugo.

Both have the same gas venting system, (the Yugo may be just a bit better, larger holes).

MY Yugo has no more tool marks than the 98, your gouges may vary.

The Yugo is a slightly shorter action and the action itself is actually smoother than my 98 due to its like new condition.

The 2 most limiting factors I see on the M-48 are the intermideate action and the lack of aftermarket bottom metal. Stamped floorplates are easily replaced with milled ones though.

Otherwise it has just as much potential and strength as the M-98.

Posts: 10173 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a M-48 that has a like new barrel, shoots extremely well.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Getzen:

How is the Chilean doing? I wish I could have bought that one...

Todd

Chilean is gone, sold to a collector. I turned a bit of profit and will start to look for a better "project" action"

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote