Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger threaded barrel Front sight
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted
So who is going to ingeniously figure out how to easily take the muzzle weight and put a nice big Post on it? Just index mark the screw on weight and do your gunsmith magic right??
Then a clamp on rear peep and I'm in heaven again.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Send me a picture and it will jump into my head like all solutions do.

Posts: 17275 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
I haven't got a Screw on Ruger weight adapter; yet... Easily putting a front sight on one is one of the issues standing in the way.
Ruger ships all these new rifles with a brake, a equal length weight and screw covering cap. I figure the Weight is the right place for a nice post. Ramp or whatever to hold it would be fine.
Just love Irons.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I don't know what they are, yet. What model of rifle?

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Ruger 77 Hawkeye "Featherweight" is what I am interested in but I think all the Ruger 77 models ship with all three. Others may know the facts on this?

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
System includes a removable, radial-port muzzle brake that significantly reduces felt recoil. For times when the brake is not preferred, it may be replaced by the included dynamically-matched muzzle weight. Switching between the brake and the weight will not change the bullet's point of impact for a particular load. The included thread protector may be used if neither the brake nor the weight is desired.

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
https://ruger.com/products/Haw...TWHunter/models.html

So you can see the picture you asked for!

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It's a standard muzzle brake. Why not attach the front sight to the barrel?
Putting a FS on the brake would cover up some of the top slots which would make the muzzle jump more. It is the top ones that you need. I suppose a dovetailed sight would not interfere too much. If there is enough meat to mill a dovetail in between the slots. I assume the weight is smooth, so a dovetail could be milled into that with no issues. .
Indexing the brake could be done with a setscrew. Or indexed hand tight.
So, this is just good machining, like most everything else on a rifle. No genius required here.
So, intall jour weight to the torque you want. Punch mark an index mark on the top of the barrel and weight. Send the weight to me and I will instal the FS. You can file it down to sight it in. That's it.
I would use a setscrew so you could allow for wear.

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I am not proposing the muzzle break as the attachment point, instead the solid muzzle weight of the same length without any slots. that should have good meat to work with for Dovetailing or putting ramp on.
Should I take the leap on one of these I'll be talking to you. In fact I will be sending you a PM after a bit to have a discussion.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a number of Rugers so set up..The front sight is on the barrel, the thread cap, weight, and muzzle brake thread on in front of the front sight..

The weight is supposed to make a rifle shoot to the same point of impact as it does with the brake off...The weight is a joke, every braked rifle Ive owned shot to the same POI with or without the brake, so after testing I put all my weights in a bucket in case I ever run into one that actual needs it...I see it as the invention of a Ruger bean counter, fresh out of college that was et plumb up with tech, and made low grades in schoold and read too many adds in gun magazines, maybe smoked to much wacky tobaccie..its a sales gimmick..All my guns shoot to the same poi with or without a brake..

I use the brake at the range only while working up loads and sighting in, then test fire them for proper sight in just to be safe and they alwas come to zero..with just the threaded cap on them..This includes Ruger or any other rifle.

Some argue this point, I suspect they hate knowing they been had! Smiler

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote