Find
Notify
Tools

What new cartidge for Montana
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted
I have a Kimber Montana in 7-08 that I want to rebarrel. I was thinking 250-3000 AI or
6.5-284, but any other ideas would be great. I am already having another 358 win built on a M70 Classic Featherweight. How about a 350 Rem Mag? Is there much work required to get either the 6.5-284 or 350 Rem Mag to feed properly? Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
BTT

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dr. Lou,

You will have to stay away from the larger diameter cartridges in the Kimber 84M. The 284 and 350 Rem Mag are too large. The system is scaled down to accept the 308 family of cartridges but no larger. I just finished a 358 on a 84M and it is great.

Headache

Posts: 158 | Location: Danbury, CT 06810 USA | Registered: 25 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Headache, thanks for the response. The 358 conversion was a toss up between a M70 Classic Featherweight or my Kimber Montana, both are 7-08s. I went with the M70 because that's what it was purchased for and I thought the barrel on the Montana would be too narrow. After I sent the M70, I measured the Montana and found the barrel to be .560, big enough for 358. I heard that the 250-3000 AI needs at least 24-26 inches of barrel to really make it worth while and I don't want to go longer than 22". I guess it wouldn't hurt to have three 358s. Lou

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a 84M Classic that was considered for a new barrel and I was not comfortable with the 284 bullets seated to 2.8" that the 84M demands. Since the official COL of the 284 is 2.8" it was just that I did not like the way the bullets seated at that length. The real restrictions must be known to Headache and they may be the case diameter or how far forward the shoulder goes or both. It would be interesting to know this information for future planning. If it's just the diameter then the 257 Roberts would fit if you must have a 25. Wildcats and improved chambers accumulate.

There are many cartridges that will work easily from the 22-250 up thru the 358.

My favorite 84M Montana is the 243. I shot it today and while it makes very small groups at 200 yds I am not sure yet how to prepare the barrel for the first shot while it's cold.

I have not missed a shot with it for a while yet. This rifle rivals my best and it's lighter and did not cost nearly as much.

Perhaps I will post the target latter.

It's the one on the right.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
6.5 x 55 would be perfect

Posts: 237 | Location: Montana | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Lou:
I have a Kimber Montana in 7-08 that I want to rebarrel.

Does it *need* rebarrelled, or are you just wanting to?

I can't think of something much better than a 7mm-08 in that rifle...

I love that cartridge.

However, if you're just wanting to "because", it's a wide open field.... Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
As Cold Bore says the 7mm-08 is excellent. Kimber Montanas are all good. Sell the 7mm-08 as it has its highest value as it is or better yet keep it. If it does not shoot good then Kimber will correct that.

The 6.5-55 is way too long for the 84M.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
No it does not need rebarreling, I just like to tinker. I like the 7-08 and may keep it that way, for a while. Yes, the 6.5x55 is too long, but you can get the Kimbers in 260 Rem. I think if I do rebarrel it, I will also go 358 Win. I have a Kimber in 22-250 that shoots just fine. Thanks for the input, Lou

One of Us
Picture of OldCenterChurch
posted Hide Post
Got one being re-barreled to 257 Roberts now.

WAR EAGLE!!

Posts: 71 | Location: Auburn, Alabama | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
How are you getting the 257 Bob to fit in the Kimber?