Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grinding Outside of Remington 700
 Login/Join

posted
I have a Remington 700 that is giving me problems with the rear base. I use two-piece bases. The rear bridge of the action is noticably ground sloping toward the ejection port.
This causes the base to pull down and to the right as the base screws are tightened. This is causing a pivioting action of the rear base.

Does anyone know of someone who will grind the outside of a Remington to spec., as Remington does with their 40X actions?

GB

Posts: 10 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
I recently sent my LTR back to Remington for the same reason plus the holes were off. After mounting 2 different 1 piece bases, one is a Badger , there was a gap about 1/8" . You can have it reground only if it is oversized from spec. If it is undersized you can have it reground and will have to shim the rear base to bring it back up or have a smith make a custom rear base for it.
I would go with a 1 piece base and bedd the rear of it with agraglass , that would keep you rings true. Or you could use the Burris rings with inserts and would probably be the cheapest fix.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sad what a fine old company like Remington is turning out these days......

Posts: 199 | Location: Harnett County NC | Registered: 23 October 2002Reply With Quote