New
Find
Notify
Tools

franchi 48 AL
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
a friend of mine has a franchi 48AL that is not ejecting the shells. Using high brass heavy loads, that it has always ejected in the past.

other than a thorough cleaning, is there anything else I need to look for?

I'm an armchair gunsmith so if it's beyond my capabilities I will send him to a professional.

any input is appreciated.

thanks,
Mark

Posts: 43 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine had the same issue and I found that after a thorough cleaning, including the bolt assembly, I greased the forend spring (since this is a blowback design, not gas operated), reassembled the gun and it worked fine. I always keep the spring lubed now just to lessen friction.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry,

Thanks for the response.

Mark

Posts: 43 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check to see if one of the rings on the magazine tube needs to be turned upside down to handle heavy loads. The old Browning autos were like that, and quite possibly the Franchis as well.

My dad shot a 20ga Franchi for years but didn't have to mess with the recoil ring since all he shot was quail (and lots of them Smiler ).

Posts: 470 | Location: Mountains of Southern New Mexico | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As mentioned above the rings could be ass-backwards.

Info
http://www.browning.com/faq/detail.asp?ID=105

Posts: 238 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
great info guys, i'll be working on this gun this weekend, i'll let you know how it goes.

thanks,

mark

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thorough cleaning removed thick grease from magazine tube, put recoil rings in correctly, and lined up bolt extractor with slot in barrel. It is now ejecting shells fine. To bad my buddy already bought a different franchi from the guy that messed up the work on this one.

thanks for the help.

Mark

One of Us
Picture of xm15e2m4
posted Hide Post
The 48AL was designed to operate best with no lubrication at all on the recoil spring and magazine tube. However if one feels it neccessary to lubricate this area (a hard habit to break sometimes) one of the so called "dry" lubes that has a powdered teflon or graphite base will provide optimum results without "gumming-up" to slow down the rearward thrust of the barrell.

I follow Rule #62.

Posts: 109 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 21 September 2007Reply With Quote