New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lever-release floorplate
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have only seen standard Mauser floorplates with a lever release. Can aftermarket bottom metal with a straddle floorplate be adapted to use a lever release? If yes, does it cost a barrel of money to do it? Roll Eyes

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim Carmichael's book on gunsmithing has an article on how to do this. It looks as if any floorplate could be modified with a lever. Brownell's has a lever specifically for the floorplate conversion with all necessary additional hardware and instructions.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=8789

Fast Ed

Measure your manhood not by success, but by significance.

Posts: 128 | Location: Delafield, Wi. | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of rifles with a lever floorplate release, both commercial Mausers. I don’t think I have ever used them were the latch did not open during normal handling. Not to rain on your parade I just don’t care for them. I understand they are historically correct and look neat but IMO they do have a down side.

Posts: 808 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the Brownells lead, Ed. Michael, I really appreciate your candor. I may have to rethink the whole idea. Confused

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
A hinged straddle floorplate with inside triggerguard bow release is the best way to go, like one on the right. The one on the left is the next best, hinged with inside bow release but no straddle around triggerguard.[IMG:left] [/IMG]

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Glen71:
Thanks for the Brownells lead, Ed. Michael, I really appreciate your candor. I may have to rethink the whole idea. Confused

Why don't you consult with Jim Dubell about lever release floorplates. He is an expert at making and installing them, as shown on his website. http://www.deltagunshop.com/cleaned_up_bolt_handle_and_reciever_notch_copy.jpg

one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
Here's a reworked military trigger guard that I think anyone with a just a little skill and some files could do.
This is an intermediate length that was also opened forward for 30.06 length rounds.
Good shooting,
WEagle

Posts: 737 | Location: atlanta ga | Registered: 11 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Petrov:
I have a couple of rifles with a lever floorplate release, both commercial Mausers. I don’t think I have ever used them were the latch did not open during normal handling. Not to rain on your parade I just don’t care for them. I understand they are historically correct and look neat but IMO they do have a down side.

Exactly! These lever-release gadgets are to look at, not to use on hunting rifles!!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glen71

To fit a lever release to a commercial triggerguard would be expensive. The lever release was originally used to convert military / commercial fixer type guards to a hinged type. To fit a lever release you need the rear lock recess in the guard for the lever to lock in. The lever can be fitted for a release / lock on a fixed type floorplate.
They do have a tendency of getting bumped, coming loose and catching on things.

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i have one on a 318.w.r. it looks good and is tight butr i dont prefer them to a trigger guard release,and i did have one made up for myself once it cost me some and in the long run it did not close or act like my westley richards release ,i suggest if you do copy one do it of a W.R.they would use them on there 318,s and the 425,s
i also have one on an original oberdorf 8x60 which is also very tight but the gun is near mint maybe that is why?

...........paul

Posts: 78 | Location: massachusetts,USA | Registered: 19 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have hutned with a lever release floor plate literally all over the world. It has accidentally popped open exactly zero times. But it is a custom rifle I made and maybe it is fit better than a factory job-can't really say. I would not want one on a dangerous game rifle, but other than that they are ok. Th eBrownells lever i spretty rough and you can make one in about the time ittakes to fit and finish the Catalog item.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote