THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Turk Mauser 8X57 Conversion to 6.5X55 Questions...

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Turk Mauser 8X57 Conversion to 6.5X55 Questions...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of RenegadeRN
posted
I have been jonesing, very badly for a 6.5X55 for about 6 months now. After researching this wonderful cartridge I decided I had to add one to my extremely small collection. I came into a K.Kale Turk Mauser for a song and I know this conversion has been done successfully. I've been researching for three straight days including all the work that would be necessary and have come up with a couple nagging questions. (Nah, I do not want to convert using a M-96 barrel making it a Twede per se', but to use an aftermarket barrel, restock, etc. Yes, I know it will be less expensive to buy an action and barrel OR buy a rifle in this caliber already made)

Looking at cartridge dimensions of both AND PICTURES of both cartridge dimensions it seems the 6.5X55 would fit in the Turk as is without any changes to the magazine box, follower, and bottom metal...but I dunno. I've read Mr. Wiebe's wonderful thread on Making It Feed. Based upon case dimensions I am wondering if there are issues with the feed rails needing work, feed ramp, etc. or can it be left as is and the 6.5X55 will feed fine...generally? LOL! And does the bolt face and extractor need to be reworked to accomodate the 6.5X55 rim diameter and rim thickness? I've read that some US brass makers rim diameter on the 6.5X55 is that of the 30-06 of 0.473in which is different than European standard of 0.480in. What is the concensus of keeping it the European standard?

Thank you for all your help and support.

'I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisable, with liberty and justice for all.'

Posts: 171 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 29 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
98% of the time, there's no issue.

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a Yugo 24/47 rebarreled to 6.5x55. No other alterations were necessary.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote