New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser 2 position safety kits
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm very interested in converting several Buehler equipped M98's to 2 pos side swing safeties. I have a mill (of sorts) and think that, given enough time (and a couple of extra shrouds) I may be able to slot and fit them if the instructions were complete.

What is the best side swing kit out there and can I use a standard slotting cutter? Other tools and tips? Thanks to all.

Jay Kolbe

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Check the brownell's catalog; there are kits and tooling packages. Jim Wisner's is a pretty nice design and everything of his is first class workmanship. A call to Brownell's will tell you if you have the right tooling or need more.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look in the Brownells catalog they sell a holding fixture and it comes with complete instructions on annealing the shroud. They also sell the two different slotting saws you will need or you canorder carbide slotting saws from Travers tool company or Enco and forego the annealing process. With a little practice you should be able to make a passable safety. If you need shrouds I have a few left over from old jobs that I would sell at a very reasonable price.

There are many things about which a wise man wishes to remain ignorant.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
shooterboy I would like some shrouds at good price what do you have wallace2318(at)earthlink.net

Posts: 90 | Location: nw LA | Registered: 20 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim Wisner has everything you need; lever kits complete with all the right directions and a must have is a fixture to locate your cuts and hold your shrouds. You really should anneal the shrouds before you machine them also.

If anyone needs some of these, I have about a half dozen ready to go, blued and everything.

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote